October in Frederick County is turning out to be month full of events to celebrate for residents and visitors alike. Here’s a rundown on some of the most popular happenings:
First Saturday in the Historic District
This Saturday, the 1st is themed “Into the Night” and will be a great start to get us into the Halloween spirit. There will be face painting and trick-or-treat candy for the children, among other fun events. There will be live music in several spots downtown, and gallery openings with guest artists. Enjoy free trolley rides from Everedy Square, and you’ll have fun finding Freddy’s body parts throughout downtown Frederick (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Fall Festival at The Children’s Museum of Rose Hill Manor – Oct. 1st and 2nd.
Progressive Dinner in Downtown Frederick, October 18th, 5:30pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm & 7:00pm
Mt. Airy Fall Festival – Oct, 1-2, Historic Main St.
What could be more artistic than 27,000 square feet of art exhibited from over 300 local and regional artists?! Artomatic@Frederick is located in the old Frederick County School Board offices at 115 E. Church Street. Check it out from September 28th through November 6th; enjoy live music throughout the event as well as special events. More to come in a post later this week!
German Food… Biergarten …Football Tent… What more can I say? Frederick Oktoberfest is at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 7997 E. Patrick St. Saturday, Oct. 1st 11 am-10 pm; Sunday, Oct. 2nd 11 am-6 pm. Free parking, admission $5 (Free admission if you wear authentic Dirndl or Lederhosen:)
Frederick’s Original Octoberfest at Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, 1110 Rosemont Ave, will be held October 15-16, Sat. 10 am to 5 pm; Sun. Noon to 5 pm. Added attractions: juried craft show and reenactors.
- The Run for Shelter is the Bar Association of Frederick County’s 3rd Annual 5k Run/ 2 Mile Walk to benefit the Religious Coalition for Emergency Human Needs. The Religious Coalition is the largest provider of emergency financial assistance outside of local government. The run starts at 9am, registration opens at 8am in Baker Park.
- There’s No Place Like Home 5K Run/Walk Race to raise money for Habitat. William R. Talley Rec Center, Sat. Oct. 29, 8:30 am. Raise money for Deborah
- Landless Theatre Company presents “Evil Dead: The Musical” For the 3rd year in a row the hilarious live stage show will be presented at the Cultural Arts Center at 15 E. Patrick St. October 14-29 at 7 pm. Here’s a little video clip from First Saturday in October 2010: Evil Dead by Lndless Theater Company.
- Weinberg presentations: 7th Annual 72 hour Film Fest, Oct. 7-8th
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble – Oct. 27th
- Wizard of Oz: Movie follows the 5K Fun Walk for Habitat – Oct. 29th
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (silent movie w/wurlitzer) – Oct 29th
- Julius Caesar by Maryland Shakespeare Theater – Oct. 7-9 at All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 106 W. Church St.
- American Buffalo – Oct. 27 – NOv 20. The MET, 31 W. Patrick St.
Pumpkin Patch & Fall Festivals
- Gaver Pumpkin Patch – Sept. 16-Nov. 6. Gaver Tree Farm, 5501 Detrick Rd, Mt. Airy, 301-865-3515
- Lawyer’s Corn Maze, Pumpkin Cannon, 13003 Creagerstown Rd. Thurmont, 240-315-8133
- Summer’s Farm – Sept. 24-Oct 31, 5614 Butterfly Lane, 301-620-9316
- The Great Pumpkin Patch, Oct. 8-9th, Old National Pike Park, 12406 Old National Pike, Mt. Mount Airy
- Crumland Farms Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch, 7612 Willow Road, Frederick, Md
- Jumbo’s Pumpkin Patch, 6521 Holter Rd, Middletown, Md
- Catoctin ColorFest – Oct. 7-8th, 360 juried artisans and crafts. 9 am – 5 pm, Thurmont
- Myersville Trolley Festival, Oct. 15-16th, 10 am – 5pm.
- 3rd Annual Halloween in Baker Park, Oct. 26-28, 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Free performances at the bandshell.
- Halloween Party – Oct. 29, 6 pm. Square Corner in Brunswick.
- Halloween Trick or Treat at Westview Promenade – Oct. 29th. 11 am – 1pm.
What a fun month! If I missed anything, be sure to leave word in the comments, or email me, I’m happy to post your event. Enjoy this Indian Summer here in Frederick Md:) Karen