As summer comes to a close this year, here are some fun events coming in August in Frederick Md:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Destination Frederick, August 1st, 2015, 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Downtown Frederick #DestinationFrederick
- Live Music several places downtown
- Music on the Hill @ Everedy Square & Shab Row, hosted by the Arc of Frederick County. beer, wine and music.
- Outdoor Dining
- Art Gallery Exhibits
- Give-Away’s, Tastings, and specials in many shops
- Ice Cream Social @ Potter’s Guild, 14 S. Market St. $20 adults, $10 children, take home a beautiful bowl.
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour Thursdays through Sept. 10th at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. 5 to 8 pm. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the old Carmack Jays parking lot, between 3rd and 4th sts. Check it out on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 pm.
- Everedy Square and Shab Row Farmers Market – Thursdays, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Carroll Creek Farmers Market, Aug. 8.
- Free Yoga on the Creek, Thursdays 7 to 8 am.
- Family Movie Night on the Creek, August 1 , 8 pm – 11 pm. Feature: “The Sandlot”, Aug. 7: Slumdog Millionaire, 7 pm to 11 pm. Aug. 14: Office Space, 7 – 11 pm. Aug. 21: People’s Choice, 7- 11 pm.
- Levitt Amp Frederick Music Series, Tuesday 7 pm – 8:30 pm.
Frederick History Buffs
- Church Tour, Aug. 1, 1 pm – 4 pm. Evangelical Lutheran Church, 35 E. Church Street Frederick.
- Wheat Threshing Days, Aug. 1 – 2. Frederick County Farm, 9005 Clemsonville Rd. Union Bridge, MD
- Storytelling with George Wunderlich. Aug. 1st 2 – 4 pm. @ Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St.
- Civil War Walking Tours, every other Saturday, April – October, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-662-1188. also: Ice Cream Social, Aug. 1.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society Open House Aug. 2.
- Civil War Events in Maryland
- African American History Tours, Roger Brook Taney House, August 22.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, If These Walls Could Talk, Aug. 8 – 9.
- WWII Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 15-16. Living Hisory and antique car show.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Piper, The Comedy Pigs, Balls Deeper in Love, Materialize
- “West Side Story” playing at Way Off Broadway and “The Jungle Book” is coming in September.
- At the Weinberg, Season Tickets are available.
- Fredericktowne Players – Holding Auditions for Little Shop of Horrors
- Other Voices Theatre: Avenue Q
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, Aug. 1st.
- Several Gallery Shows Throughout the month in downtown Frederick.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:00 AM, Baker Park
- Sunday Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – 1. Aug. 2, 16.
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, 6 – 8 pm.
- South Mountain Concert Series, Aug. 8, 7 pm. South Mountain Heritage Society, 3 E. Main St. Burkittsville, MD
- Family Movie Night, Middletown Park, Aug. 22.
- It’s the 99th Birthday of the National Park Service! Five National Parks are located in and around Frederick County. Look for special events.
- Potomac Street Mile, August 29 Fun for all ages, Square Corner Park
- Annual Family Fun Day @ the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Aug. 31. 339 S. Seton Ave. Emmitsburg, Md 21788.
For Frederick Kids
- First Friday Family Fun Fest – Westview Promenade, 10 am to 11:30 am.
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 1.
- Hero Day, Adventure Park USA, August 15, 8 am to 10 am.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Train, August 5, 19. Jesse James Day, Aug. 8, Sept. 12.
- Summer Movie Express $1 movies, Westview Promenade’s Regal Cinemas, through Aug. @ 10 am.
- Family Movie Night in Middletown Park, August 21.
- Movie Night @ AOPA, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Aug. 15. 296 Bucheimer Road. 301-695-2000
- Plow & Hearth School Supply Donation Drive! Through Sept. 30. Bring donations to Plow & Hearth, Westview Shopping Center.
- Women’s Distance Festival & Fun Run, Aug. 8th, Plus: Little Women 1K Fun Run for younger runners. FCC, Proceeds to Women’s Giving Circle.
- Sixth Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, History Ride on Friday, August 14. Proceeds to various charities. On Saturday, several rides beginning at the Delaplaine Art Center, at 4 pm downtown: The 3rd Frederick Clustered Spires High Wheel Race will be a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles. Free for Spectators, 4 pm to 5:30 pm
- Tour De Frederick Covered Bridges Ride, Sunday, Aug. 16, 9 am – 1 pm.
- Sofie & Madigan’s Kidstock, A Music & Arts Festival, Aug. 8, Frederick Fairgrounds, 10 am.
- Funomenon, Saturday, Aug. 22, Frederick Fairgrounds, 12 noon – 6:00. benefits through the Patty Pallatos Fund.
- Gran Fondo National Championship, Bicycle Race, Sept. 20, 2015, proceeds go to the Girl Scouts and Frederick Bicycle Coalition.
- Tri-County Poker Run, motorcycle charity event, Aug. 29, 2015, starts at Cactus Flatts, 10:30 am.
- Main Street 5K and Funrun, Middletown, Aug. 29, 8 am.
The 6th Annual Tommy West Memorial Ride, Aug. 29, 9:30 am. Thurmont American Legion Pavilion, supports several Thurmont groups.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Farmer’s Market every Saturday at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 8 am.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car. and: Murder Mystery Dinner Trains
- South Mountain Creamery Tours, Monday through Friday through Oct.
- Farm to Fork Frederick – August 28 through Sept. 7.
- Fireside Fridays @ Black Ankle Vineyards, Live music and wine
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday
- Sunday Live Music @ Linganore Winecellars Wine and Food Pairings.
Enjoy The Summer in Frederick!