Winter snows brought beautiful spring colors to Frederick! There are lots of events to celebrate our lovely city in May 2014:
First Saturday in the Historic District
- Children’s Activities like face painting and sidewalk chalk art contest
- Floral Art by local garden clubs
- Live Music several places downtown
- Camero Show
- Several Gallery Openings
- Beer Garden, 4 to 8 pm, 52 S. Market St.
- Costumed actors at Brainstorm Comics, 20 N. East St.
Store specials, wine tastings, and herb and plant sales, much more… Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every other Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, starting May 15, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Spring Garden Walk at Shab Row, May 10, 5 to 8 pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 17 and 18. 301-600-2844
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick Running Festival; Beer, Bacon & Music, May 17 & 18; The Farmer’s Market, more
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, May through October
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Open First Sunday of the month, May to August, 305 W. Main St, Middletown
- Frontier Day @ Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, 1110 Rosemont Ave., June 7. Open for tours April through early December 8, Saturdays and Sundays
- Family And Scout Days: Civil War Spies in Frederick County, May 2 – 3, Frederick County Museum of History, 301-663-1188
- Your Antique Treasures Evaluated, May 21, Christ Reformed Church Capel, 12 S. Church St. Middletown. 301-371-6410
- Civil War Reenactors @ Walkersville Southern Railroad, May 31. 34 W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Lieutenant of Inishmore, TruthPaste A Blotto Biography
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Maryland Regional Ballet presents “Cinderella”, St. Cecelia Youth Orchestra, Frederick Children’s Chorus, Mid-Maryland Performing Arts Center presents “Our World, Our Dance”, Red Molly and more…
- Frederick Speaker Series, Tom Brokaw, Weinberg Center, May 7.
- “Singin’ In the Rain” playing at Way Off Broadway, “Disney’s Peter Pan Jr.” on the Children’s stage until July 27.
- Act Too! Theater Company – The Fantom TollBooth, First two weekends in May
- Jack and the Beanstalk, Other Voices Theatre Production, May 10, 17 – 18, 24,
Music & Arts in Frederick
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
- Art & Music at Cowork Frederick, May 3, 122 E. Patrick St. Artist Callie Badorrek, Local Music, Harry Pritchett.
- “Sounds of Spring” Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Frederick Community College. Also, Choral Arts Society Spring Concert, Wind Ensemble, and more.
- Frederick String Initiative Student Ensembles, ages 7-20 perform, Sat. May31, 2 to 3:30 pm, C. Burr Artz Library.
- Concert Series @ Calvary United Methodist Church, 131 W. 2nd St. May 4th, 3 pm L’Arabesque Baroque
- Creative Outlet Drop-In Art Session, May 3, Delaplaine Arts Center
- Frederick County Public Library Programs
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 3- 4th.
- Catoctin Forest Day of Service, Catoctin Mountain Park at Camp Greentop on May 10, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m 301-663-9388
- Spring in the Village, Catoctin Furnace, May 10, Crafts, flowers, heirloom plants, herbs and spring & mothers day gifts for sale. 12607 Catoctin Furnace Road.
- Alpaca Shearing Days, Sugarloaf Alpacas, 1347 Buckeystown Pke, Adamstown
- Bark in the Park, May 10 at Utica District Park, 301-600-2936
- Frederick Celtic Festival, May 10, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 15 – 18, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 920 W. 7th Street
- Fort Ritchie 2nd Annual Bass Fishing Tournament, May 11, June 22, Lake Royer
- Mt. Airy Mayfest, May 17 & 18, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds.
- Middletown Arts & Crafts Festival, May 17, Middetown Community Park.
- Asian Heritage Month Celebration at Baker Park on May 25th from 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm.
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train
- SJRCS Princess and Superhero Breakfast, May 31, 8 am. Adventure Park USA also… Spring Auction & Fair, May 31st, 9 am to 9 pm.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest, May 2 – October 3, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300, and… Summer Reading Family Festival, May 11, 11 to 1 pm.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- Mommy and Me Day, May 4th, 9 am – 12 pm. Daisy’s Salon/Flights of Fancy. Benefits FMH Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Mini Spa Treaments with activities, snacks, raffle and goodie back, $10 for Adults, $7 for children under 10. 301-663-9295
- Dashing Emancipation: A Fashion Event, Proceeds go to Love 146 (Love146.com) actively fighting and bringing awareness to human trafficking. Sunday, May 24, 7 pm to 9 pm. Cafe 611, Like them on Facebook.
- 15th Annual Forget-Me-Not Gala, May 3. “Dancing With the Starts, Black Tie event, proceeds go to the Altzheimer’s Association. Walkersville Social Hall, 79 W. Frederick St.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters/Frederick Keys Fundraising Campaign, April through May.
- Relay for Life, fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 9. 7 pm The Banner School, 1730 N. Market Street. Relay for Life of South Frederick/Urbana, May 16-17, 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia
- Festa Italiano Frederick, benefits Habitat for Humanity of Frederick County, Rose Hill Manor Park, May 17, 11 am – 8 pm.
- Western Md Kidney Walk, May 4, Greenbrier State Park, Md
- Autism Artreach Wine Reception and Silent Auction, Business Factory of Frederick, 801 N. East St. Ste. 6A
- Community Day @ FSK Mall – May 17, 10am-4pm, Center Court – Meet representatives from non-profit organizations from throughout the region.
Dining Out in Frederick:
Frederick Beer Week – May 30 through June 7th -See Beer Week Activities
Le Penache – French Food Festival, Ceresville Mansion, 8529 Liberty Rd. May 3,
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Qyunn’s Attic – 301-695-9656
- Silver Maple – 301-371-3125
Memorial Day Celebrations
- Last Full Measure of Devotion – Monocacy Battlefield, May 24 – 26, 5201 Urbana Pike, 301-662-3515
- Parade & Ice Cream Social – Middletown Park, 7628 Coblentz Rd, 11 am – 2 pm.
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Cheese and Chocolate Tastings, live entertainment, more
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Wine in the Woods