Things to Do in Frederick Md This December 2016
The Holidays are here in Frederick Md! There is loads of charm and plenty of fun activities to enjoy:
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday”! The month is themed “Three Saturdays in December”, with each Saturday focused on one of these: “Eat, Shop & Be Merry!” There will be sales! There will be evenings of carriage rides, food & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live entertainment, and sales! Kids of all ages will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores. And there will be sales! 3 pm to 9 pm. December 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Special Events
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 3rd and 4th, A self-guided walking tour through Various Downtown Frederick homes.
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec 10, Downtown Frederick. The Frederick Strings Initiative performs.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, afternoons and evenings. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492, or check the website for dates and rates.
- Festival of Trees, Nov. 25 – Dec.10, Museum of Frederick County History, 24 East Church Street
- Festival of Lights, Dec. 16, City Hall Courtyard, 7 to 9 pm.
- Sky Stage Holiday Caroling & Gift Bazaar, Dec. 17th, 2 – 7 pm. See all Sky Stage Events.
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, December 4, 18, 12:30 – 1 pm.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Artist Market, Dec. 5. Holiday Art Competition, Dec. 4, Elf Workshops for kids, Dec. 5, 13.
- The Frederick String Initiative Performance, Dec. 1oth at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 18th at St. Kathryn Drexel.
- Concerts at FCC, Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan Songbook – Jazz, Dec. 1, Choral Arts Society of Frederick Concert “Northern Lights”, Dec. 2. The Spires at Christmas, Dec. 3., Annual Holiday Ceramics Sale and Fundraiser, Dec. 1.
- A Very Merry Christmas, Way Off Broadway, Nov. 26 – Dec 23. Children’s Stage: Clara and the Nutcracker Prince, through Dec. 28th.
- Frosty the Snowman, The Performing Arts Factory.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: Family Holiday, Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells Batman Smells, A Christmas Carol, and the Comedy Pigs. Winter Class Registration.
- The Weinberg: It’s a Wonderful Life, Dec. 1st, Shadows of the 60’s Motown Tribute, The Nutcracker – Dec. 9-11, A Christmas Carol, Dec. 15-17, The annual Messiah sing-along, Dec. 20. Diamond Rio, The Strong Man, When Harry Met Sally.
- Countryside Artisans of Maryland, Dec. 2-4, 9-11. Tour studios in Frederick County & Montgomery County.
- Game On: Annual Children’s Performance, Dance Show. For families, by Equinox Dance Company with guest children dancers. Sunday December 11 at 1pm. Partial proceeds benefit S.H.I.P.
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, Frederick Chorale. Dec. 4th at the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
- Winter Concert Series at Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Nov. 27th, Dec. 3, 10, 17.
For Frederick Kids
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & Friends, Dec. 10. Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Story Time with Mrs. Clause. See all of the Library Events.
- Super Secret Elf Workshop, Delaplaine Arts Center, Dec.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 9, 6:30 -8:30 pm.
- Cinderella Carriage Rides, Dec. 18-19. Brewer’s Alley, 124 N. Market St., $25. Call City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492, or check the website for dates and rates.
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 3. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- FCSME Model Train “Children’s Christmas” Open House, Dec. 11, 423 E. Patrick St. Open houses every Sunday in January.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Ausherman Planetarium, 210 Madison St., Dec. 5, 12, 19.
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Harvester Holiday, Dec. 7, 11 am to 2 pm. 901 E. Patrick Street. Visit with Santa, ride a tractor-drawn wagon through downtown Frederick. Train display, crafts and shopping. Support local Charities.
- Toys for Tots Collection, Westview Promenade, hosted by Golden Gears Car Club. Saturday, Dec. 15.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Giving Tuesday is November 29, Check out GivingTuesday.org.
- Jingle Bell Run/Santa Stroll, Dec. 3, Historic Downtown Brunswick. Costume judging, hot cocoa, tree-lighting, an entire day of fun. Bring canned goods for the Brunswick Food Bank.
- Maryland Event Calendar for Walking, Running, Cycling, etc.
- Patty Pollatos Calendar of Events
- Key 103 Radio Community Events Page
For History Buffs:
- Festival of the Trees, Frederick County Historical Society, 24 East Church Street in the Historic District of Frederick.
- 75th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, Special Remembrance, Mt. Olivet Cemetary.
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec. 10 Various locations in Frederick County. Rose Hill Manor, and 18 other museums.
- Candlelight Cemetary Tours, Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 3rd. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Steiner House Open House, Dec. 10, 368 W Patrick St. Learn more on The Frederick Woman’s Civic Club website.
- Christmas at the Hospital, Civil War Medicine Museum, Dec. 17.
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield. Dec. 3rd.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick. 301-600-4045
For Frederick Foodies
Linganore Winecellers: Wine and Food Pairing of the Month, Christmas in the Barn, Dec. 3rd. Closed Christmas Day. Reservation Recemmended, $10 per person. And for the second time:
Winterfest at Linganore Winecellers, January 7, 2016, 12 pm to 4 pm. $15 With a DJ, dancing, handmade crafts and beautiful artwork, wine and beer tasting.
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Scents and Sweets Competition and Auction, Dec. 1, 5:30 – 7 pm. William Talley Rec Center.
- Holiday Open House, “Joyful Jingles” Urbana Library, Dec. 3.
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 10, 3 – 8 pm.
- 11th Annual Gifts and Greens Sale, Dec. 1-3, All Saints Episcopal Church, 106 West Church St. Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 3, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- Christmas in New Market, Dec. 9 – 10. Main Street New Market.
- Fort Ritchie Holiday Craft Bazaar, Dec. 10, 9 am – 3 pm.
- Brunswick Hometown Holidays, Dec. 10.
- Museums by Candlelight Tour, Dec. 10th. 12 noon – 5 pm. Main St. Middletown
- Live Nativity, Urbana Fire Department, Dec. 4. at 6, 7, and 8 pm.
- Christmas in the Barn, Dec. 3, Holiday Bazaar, Linganore Winecellars.
- FNP Holiday Gift Pop-Up Shop, Dec. 3, 10 am– 6 pm. Next to Pistarro’s on Shab Row, Frederick
- Westview Promenade. Visits with Santa and Mrs. Clause, Dec. 10.
- Cookies and Carriage Holiday Light Tour, Skater’s House, Corner of 2nd St. and W. College Terr. Dec. 17.
New Year’s Eve
- Hogmanny Scottish Celebration, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department
- Scottish First Footing, New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Fourth Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- Family New Year’s Eve Celebration, Dec. 31, Adventure Park U.S.A.
- January 1 – Freezin for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon.
- New Year’s Eve Benefit Dance for Patty Pollatos Fund. Francis Scott Key Mall, 7 pm – 12:30 am.
- New Year’s Eve Events in Frederick County on Eventbrite
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!