July is on our doorstep in Frederick Md, with Stars and Stripes and fireworks in store. There are many activities around here to celebrate this wonderful time of year.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for July’s First Saturday: Stars & Stripes, with The Great Frederick Float. July 7th, 2012, from 5 – 9 PM
- Boat Parade/Contest!! Prizes to be awarded! $25 application fee (waived for non-profits)
- Children’s Activities
- Live Music several places downtown
- Letter writing booths to the troops overseas
- Free Trolley Rides
- The 2nd Annual Town Photo taken at the square corner
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Dancing and more
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Five Alive Happy Hour opens again for the summer months: July 12th, 19th and 26th, at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. May through August, Alive @ Five is held the second, third and fourth Thursday of each month, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- There is a brand new art gallery in downtown Frederick: The Griffin Art Center will have a grand opening Monday, July 9, 2012 • 6:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – July 7, and 21, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188
- War of 1812 Exhibit: Frederick Supports a Nation, Roger Brook Taney House, July 1 through Dec 31, 2012
- 148th Battle Anniversary, Monocacy National Battlefield, July 7th, 8th.
- Civil War Encampment at Rose Hill Manor, July 14th and 15th.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: I Am Not My Mother, Laugh Station
- “Footloose” playing at Way Off Broadway
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, July 7th.
- Frederick Camera Clique Juried Exhibit, FCC, July 14-September 5, 2012, in the Mary Condon Hodgson Art Gallery. The opening reception for the regional juried exhibit will be Saturday, July 14, from 5-7 p.m.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Corvette Show – July 14, Shab Row & Everedy Square, 12 to 5 pm.
- The 7th Annual Mountaintop Heritage Days, June 30 through July 1, Former Fort Richie Army post in Cascade, MD
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:30 AM, Baker Park
River Riders July 4th Raft Special, July 4, 2012
River & Trail Outfitters, Kayak Trip, July 4, 2012
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Children’s Day @ Roger Taney House, 121 S. Bentz St., Saturday, July 21, 2012 • 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Wild West Rodeo Days, June 30 through July 1, Adventure Park USA
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
Country Music Concert – Cruisin’ for St Jude’s Children’s HospitalDates: July 28, 2012, 3 pm, Westview Promenade
Annual Frederick Keys Charity Golf Tournament, July 30, 2012, Registration begins at 8am, golf begins at 9am. Musket Ridge Golf Club
- Mud Dog Run 5k, Crumland Farms, July 25th. Proceeds go to The FISC Foundation, set up to give Frederick County Athletes scholarships to go to college and summer sports camps to further their skills.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- The Frederick Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Institute will host an open house at its new facility on Saturday, July 14 from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Monroe Center, 200 Monroe Avenue
- The 3rd Annual “Date Night on Main Street”, Middletown, July 21st.
Independence Day Celebrations in & Around Frederick
- Celebration in Brunswick, July 2nd at Dusk
- Celebration in Baker Park, July 4th, noon to Dusk, Fireworks, music, chili cook-off, kids’ activities
Enjoy Summer in Frederick!