Holiday shopping is much more of a celebration in downtown Frederick than it is a chore. Surrounded by decorations and lighted trees, thanks to the generous donations of businesses and individuals throughout this year, and regaled with music, carolers and carriage rides, the Historic District is surpassed by no other during the holidays.
The season starts with Frosty Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. (So much nicer to say than ‘Black Friday’, don’t you think:) Several downtown restaurants will be open for breakfast, and Frosty himself will make an appearance. Of course, the Grinch will be sneaking around as well, so watch out for that guy. Santa Clause will show up at Everedy Square to visit with children from 7 pm to 8 pm. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
Parking is free for Frosty Friday, and for every Saturday through New Year’s. The shopping is sure to please, with one-of-a-kind gifts you can’t find anywhere else.
At the Cultural Arts Center, at 15 N. Market Street, the Frederick Artists Market will feature various local artists displaying their paintings, jewelry, photography, pottery, and more. Throughout town various entertainment will delight, from singers to brass bands and Carolers, too. Warm up with some hot chocolate on Patrick and Market Streets.
Find out more details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website. Make sure to spend some time downtown, enjoying the cheer of the Season.
Other Events of the Season:
- Handel’s Messiah, with the Baltimore Symphonic Chorale. Saturday Dec. 4, 7:30 PM at Weinberg Center for the Arts, 20 W. Patrick Street. See all shows on the Weinberg Center Website.
- Spires Brass Band, The Spires at Christmas, at Kussmaul Theatre, Frederick Community College, Saturday, Dec, 4, 8 PM. 301-846-2566. Call for information about the many concerts and theater productions of the Holiday season.
- The Nutcracker, by the Maryland Regional Ballet, Weinberg Center for the Arts, Friday, Dec. 10, at 8 PM, Saturday, Dec. 11 at 2 PM & 8 PM, and Sunday, Dec. 12 at 2 PM.
- The Third Annual Frederick Festival of Greens, Nov. 26 through Dec. 5. Decorated wreaths and trees by local artists, businesses and groups, 15 W. Patrick Street, Frederick. 301-662-4190.
- “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” presented by the Frederick Players, from Nov. 26 through Dec. 5. 15 W. Patrick Street, Frederick. 301-662-4190.