As the dog days of summer have arrived, here are some fun events coming in August in Frederick Md:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Destination Frederick, August 6, 2016, 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Live Music several places downtown
- Art Gallery Exhibits
- Give-Away’s, Tastings, and specials in many shops
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour Thursdays through Sept. 10th at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. 5 to 8 pm. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the old Carmack Jays parking lot, between 3rd and 4th sts. Check it out on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 pm.
- Everedy Square and Shab Row Farmers Market – Thursdays, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Carroll Creek Farmers Market, Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23.
- Free Yoga on the Creek, Thursdays 7 to 8 am.
- Knitting by the Creek with the Knot House, Thursday’s 9 to 11 am.
- Family Movie Night on the Creek, August 19 , 8 pm – 11 pm. Feature: “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
- Levitt Amp Frederick Music Series, on the Creek, Tuesdays 7 pm – 8:30 pm.
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tours, August 6, Sept. 3, Oct. 1, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-662-1188. also:
- Pints ‘N the Past, Aug. 6, 4 to 6 pm. Cold beer, local history and snacks.
- Civil War Stories of the C&O Canal. August 1st, Brunswick Public Library.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society Open House Aug. 7, 1 to 5 pm.
- Civil War Events in Maryland
- Thomas Farm Open House, August 20, 21st.
- 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service, Monocacy Battlefield events August 25th.
- African American History Tours, Roger Brook Taney House, August 27.
- WWII Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 20-21. Living History and antique car show.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Gulliver’s Travels in Space: The Musical, The Comedy Pigs: Inebriated History
- Monty Python’s Spamalot, playing at Way Off Broadway and 101 Dalmations is coming in September.
- At the Weinberg, Season Tickets are available August 4th.
- Fredericktowne Players – Coming in September: Babes in Arms
- Other Voices Theatre: Anything Goes
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, Aug. 1st.
- Several Gallery Shows Throughout the month in downtown Frederick.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, August 6, 7 to 8 pm. the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Color on the Creek Festival, Aug. 20th. Live Music, BBQ, beer and wine. Carroll Creek, 3 pm to 10 pm.
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:00 AM, Baker Park
- Sunday Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – Sundays.
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, 6 – 8 pm.
- Middletown National Night Out, Tuesday, August 2nd, Middletown Carnival Grounds, 5:30 to 8:30 pm…also Family Movie Night, Middletown Park, Aug. 19 Inside Out.
- It’s the 100th Birthday of the National Park Service! Five National Parks are located in and around Frederick County. Look for special events.
- Paws in the Park, 4th Sunday of the month. 10 am C. Burr Artz Library
- Potomac Street Mile, August 27 Fun for all ages, Square Corner Park
- Annual Family Fun Day @ the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Aug. 28. 2:30 pm to 5 pm. 339 S. Seton Ave. Emmitsburg, Md 21788.
For Frederick Kids
- First Friday Family Fun Fest – Westview Promenade, 10 am to 11:30 am.
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 1.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Train, August 3, 17. Jesse James Day, Aug. 13, Sept. 10.
- Summer Movie Express $1 movies, Westview Promenade’s Regal Cinemas, through Aug. @ 10 am.
- Family Movie Night in Middletown Park, August 21.
- Ice Cream Social @ Potter’s Guild, August 6, 2 pm – 8 pm. 14 S. Market St. $20 adults, $10 children, take home a beautiful bowl. Benefits Frederick Rescue Mission.
- Women’s Distance Festival & Fun Run, Aug. 13th, Plus: Little Women 1K Fun Run for younger runners. FCC, Proceeds to Women’s Giving Circle.
- 7th Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, History Ride on Friday, August 12-14 .Proceeds to Boys and Girls Club. On Saturday, several rides beginning at the Delaplaine Art Center, at 4 pm downtown: The 4th Frederick Clustered Spires High Wheel Race will be a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles. Free for Spectators, Aug. 13, 4 pm to 5:30 pm
- Tour De Frederick Covered Bridges Ride, Sunday, Aug. 14, 9 am – 1 pm.
- Gran Fondo National Championship, Bicycle Race, Sept. 18, 2016, proceeds go to the SHIP, Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership
- Celebrate the 4-year anniversary of coworking in downtown Frederick with a Birthday Bash and Charity Event that will benefit the Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership (SHIP) of Frederick County.
- Main Street 5K and Funrun, Middletown, Aug. 27, 8 am.
- The 7th Annual Tommy West Memorial Ride, Aug. 27, 9:30 am. Thurmont American Legion Pavilion, supports several Thurmont groups.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Supper and Stories, Nido’s Restaurant, 2nd Tuesday evenings, every other month. Dinner and a lively book discussion. 7 pm.
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Farmer’s Market every Saturday at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 8 am.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car. and: Murder Mystery Dinner Trains
- South Mountain Creamery Tours, Monday through Friday through Oct.
- Frederick Wine Festival, Inaugural Event. August 6, 11 am to 5 pm. Information and tickets: Celebrate Frederick
- Fireside Fridays @ Black Ankle Vineyards, Live music and wine
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday
- Sunday Live Music @ Linganore Winecellars Wine and Food Pairings.
Enjoy The Summer in Frederick!