Things to Do in Frederick December 2013
The Historic District takes on a special charm during the Holidays; the beautiful lights and fun activities make for a special holiday season in Frederick! There are only 3 Saturdays in December this year! Here are most of the things to do in Frederick December 2013:
[please feel free to leave a comment with anything I’ve missed:]
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday” is themed “Three Saturdays in December”, featuring the theme “Eat, Drink & Be Merry!” There will be evenings of carriage rides, food & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live entertainment, and sales. Kids will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores. 3 pm to 9 pm.
- December 7th: EAT
- December 14th: DRINK
- December 21st: BE MERRY
- (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
- Babysitting with the Evangelical Lutheran Youth Group. Call 301-663-6361
Frederick Md Christmas Special Events
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 7th and 8th, Various Downtown Frederick locations. See Celebrate Frederick Facebook page for details.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec 26, 4 to 9 pm. Downtown Frederick, See Celebrate Frederick Facebook page for details.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Saturdays and Sundays, 4 – 8 pm. $10. (Dec. 20th – 5 to 9 pm) Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Cookies and Carriage Holiday Light Tour, Friday Dec. 19, 5:30 – 8:30 pm. Skater’s House, 2nd St. & West College Terr. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Festival of Lights, Dec. 6, City Hall Courtyard
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Local Color Artist Market, Dec. 7.
- Concerts at FCC, All That Jazz Dec. 5th, Choral Arts Society of Frederick Concert, Dec. 7. the String Ensemble, Dec. 15. and MORE
- A Christmas Carol, Way Off Broadway, Nov. 10 – Dec 29. Also: Mr. Clause, through Dec. 28th.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells. and The Santaland Diaries.
- The Weinberg: The Sicilian Tenors, Dec. 6, Irish Dancing Christmas, Dec. 7. The Frederick Children’s Chorus, The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, and more. The annual Messiah sing-along, Dec. 23rd.
For Frederick Kids
- Cocoa with Santa. Dec. 1st 1 pm to 4 pm, Museum of Frederick County History. 24 E. Church Street.
- Shadrack’s Light Show, Adventure Park USA, Through Jan 5.
- Ronald McDonald will visit the C. Burr Artz Public Library, Tues. Dec. 3, 6:30-7:30 pm. 110 E. Patrick St. See all of the Library Events.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 13, 6:30 -9 pm.
- Cinderella Carriage Rides, Sat. Dec. 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, 28th. 4 – 8 pm. Dec. 20th, 5 – 9 pm. Brewer’s Alley, 124 N. Market St., $25. Call City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 7. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- FCSME Model Train Open House, Dec. 7-8, Jan. 5, 12, 19, 26. This display of an HO and HOn3 model railroad is built inside a real Chesapeake & Ohio horse/baggage car. 423 E. Patrick St.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Ausherman Planetarium, 210 Madison St., Dec. 5, 12, 19.
- Breakfast with Santa , Dec. 14. Adventure Park USA.
Harvester Holiday, Dec. 7, 10 am to 2 pm. 901 E. Patrick Street. Visit with Santa, ride a tractor-drawn wagon through downtown Frederick. Train display, crafts and shopping. Support a family in need.
Toys for Tots Collection, Westview Promenade
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
For History Buffs:
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec. 14-15. Various locations in Frederick County.
- Candlelight Cemetary Tours, Frederick.
- Victorian Christmas, Nov. 30 – Dec. 1, Brunswick Heritage Museum.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 7th. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield. Dec. 7th.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick. 301-600-4045
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – Christmas Light Show at Adventure Park USA, from Nov. 19 – Jan. 3. 301-865-6800
- Holiday Open House, Urbana Library, Dec. 7th and 8th.
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 7th
- ChristKendleMarkt – Annual German Market. Dec. 6, 7 and 8, Evangelical Lutheran Church, 31 E. Church Street. Traditional German Music, Food and market.
- Maryland Christmas Show Nov. 29 – Dec. 1, Frederick Fairgrounds.
- Fort Ritchie Holiday Craft Bazaar, Dec. 7
- Brunswick Community Church Tour, Dec. 14.
- Christmas House Tour, Dec. 15th. Main St. Middletown
- Live Nativity, Urbana Fire Department, Dec. 1. at 6, 7, and 8 pm.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. If I missed anything, be sure to leave word in the comments, I’m happy to post your event. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!