There are lots of events to celebrate our lovely mothers and our beautiful city in May 2016.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for May’s First Saturday: Mayfest. Saturday, May 7, from 10 am to 9 pm. Build a bouquet of spring flowers as you explore the Historic District. Enjoy the garden of the Frederick County Museum of History:
- Balloons and Flowers
- Floral Art by local garden clubs
- Live Music several places downtown
- Evangelical Lutheran Church Tour, 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Several Gallery Openings and Artist Receptions
Store specials, wine tastings, and herb and plant sales, much more… Find Details an Downtown events at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
Grand Opening of Carroll Creek Phase II
The Grand Opening Ceremony will take place on Thursday May 19 aat 4 pm. The cermony is to take place by the new bridge between East Street and Patrick Street. Attendees will receive free admission to Alive @ Five right after the ceremony.
Other Downtown Frederick Events
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, May 14, Carroll Creek Park. Beer Tastings from 44 Breweries! Tickets are ONLY available in advance HERE.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, starting May 12, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 21-22. 301-600-2844
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick Running Festival; Beer, Bacon & Music; Kids Closet Connection; The Farmer’s Market, more
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, May through October
- Civil War Walking Tour at the Civil War Medicine Museum May 7th
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Open First Sunday of the month, May to August, 305 W. Main St, Middletown also: Antique Road Show, May 18
- The Last Full Measure of Devotion, Flag Display, Monocacy Battlefield, May 28-30.
- Frederick Coin and Currency Show, May 14-15, Elks Lodge, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Steam Train Excursions @ Walkersville Southern Railroad, throughout May, W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville.
- Downtown Abby Garden Party, Frederick County Historical Society‘s Heritage Garden, May 15, 4:00 – 6:00, Dress in 1920’s costume. 24 E. Church Street.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Cinderella, Planet Claire, Superior Donuts
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Maryland Regional Ballet presents “Cinderella”, Frederick Speaker Series, George Takei, May 2nd, Frederick Children’s Chorus, Mid-Maryland Performing Arts Center presents “We Live Dance!”, YMCA presents Dancing Through the Seasons, Dance Unlimited Annual Recital, John Hiatt, and more…
- “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” playing at Way Off Broadway, “Stinky Kids the Musical” on the Children’s stage.
- Act Too! Theater Company – Game of Tiaras
Music & Arts in Frederick
- Artomatic @ Frederick returns for the third time. May 6 through June 10. 115 – 117 East Church Street, Frederick.
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, free.
- Frederick Community College. Also, Wind Ensemble Spring Concert, String Ensemble, and Jazz Concert.
- Frederick String Initiative Student Ensembles, ages 7-20 perform, Sat. May 15 Delaplaine Center for the Arts.
- Concert Series @ Calvary United Methodist Church, 131 W. 2nd St. National Philharmonic Clarinet and String Ensemble, May 1st
- Creative Outlet Drop-In Art Session, May 7, Delaplaine Arts Center
- Frederick County Public Library Programs
- Coming UP: Frederick Symphony Orchestra, June 11, FCC @ J.B. Kussmaul Theater, An American Salute.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- South Mountain Creamery Spring Festival April 30 – May 1
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 7- 8.
- 5th Brunswick Wine and Chocolate Walk, May 7th Downtown Brunswick
- Annual Herb Day Celebration, Fox Haven Farm, 3630 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson, May 7.
- Spring in the Village, Catoctin Furnace, May 7 – 8, Crafts, flowers, heirloom
- plants, herbs and spring & mothers day gifts for sale. 12607 Catoctin Furnace Road.
- Alpaca Shearing Days, Sugarloaf Alpacas, 1347 Buckeystown Pke, Adamstown
- Tails on Trails, May 14 Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. Register.
- Bark in the Park, May 14 at Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. 301-600-2936
- Frederick Celtic Festival, May 14, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 11 – 15, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 920 W. 7th Street
- Urbana Rotary Car Show, May 14
- Geocaching Meet and Greet, Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East St. May 22, 9:30
- Fort Ritchie 3rd Annual Bass Fishing Tournament, May 21, 7 am, Lake Royer
- Mt. Airy Mayfest, May 16 & 17, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds.
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, Carroll Creek Park, May 14, 1–6 pm purchase tickets on the website.
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Locomotives on Display, May 2nd, also Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train, Jesse James Day is May 28.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest, May 2 through October, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- Mud Dog Run, May 7th, Ceresville Mansion, proceeds benefit Veterans suffering from PTSD
- Julips & Jockeys Derby Day Celebration, May 7, 4 pm to 8 pm. Visitation Academy.
- Relay for Life of South Frederick overnight community fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 13- 14. Banner School
- Relay for Life, May 20 – 21, Monocacy Valley Church
- Festa Italiana Frederick, benefits Habitat for Humanity of Frederick County, Rose Hill Manor Park, June 11.
- Check 106.9 The Eagle Community Calendar for local events.
Dining Out in Frederick:
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Family Meal – 301-378-2895
- The Wine Kitchen – 301-663-6968
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Firestone’s – 301-663-0330
- Dutch’s Daughter – 301-668-9500
Memorial Day Celebrations
- Last Full Measure of Devotion – Monocacy Battlefield, May 28 – 31, 5201 Urbana Pike, 301-662-3515
- Parade & Ice Cream Social – Middletown Park, 7628 Coblentz Rd, 11 am – 2 pm.
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Cheese and Chocolate Tastings, live entertainment, more
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Wine in the Woods
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!
Turf Valley has their annual Preakness Balloon Festival.. It is May 19 – 21