May is right around the corner. There are lots of events to celebrate our lovely city in May 2017…and our lovely mothers!
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for May’s First Saturday: Mayfest. Saturday, May 6, from 10 am to 9 pm. Mayfest is Downtown Frederick’s only day-long celebration…because you need a whole day to enjoy the beauty of a Frederick day in May!
- Balloons and Flowers and Art
- Floral Art by local garden clubs
- Live Music several places downtown
- Evangelical Lutheran Church Tour, 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Several Gallery Openings and Artist Receptions
- Walking Tours
- Trolley Rides
Store specials, wine tastings, and herb and plant sales, much more… Find Details an Downtown events at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website, as well as many other downtown events in May.
Other Downtown Frederick Events
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, May 13, Carroll Creek Park. Beer Tastings from 44 Breweries! Tickets are ONLY available in advance HERE.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, starting May 11, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 20 & 21. 301-600-2844 Celebrate Frederick
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick Running Festival; Beer, Bacon & Music; Kids Closet Connection; The Farmer’s Market, more
- Free Church Tours at Evengelical Lutheran Church, 31 E Church St 301-663-6361
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, May through October, also Art & Architecture of Frederick
Recurring monthly on the 2nd Saturday until October 14, 2017
- Civil War Walking Tour and other events at the Civil War Medicine Museum.
- National Herb Day at Schifferstadt, May 13.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Open First Sunday of the month, May to August, 305 W. Main St, Middletown also: Anual Dinner and Auction, May 17
- Battlefield Hikes, Monocacy Battlefield, May 13.
- Frederick Coin and Currency Show, May 20-21, Elks Lodge, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Steam Train Excursions @ Walkersville Southern Railroad, throughout May, W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville.
- Bonnets & Bow Ties Event Sat, May 6, 3:30pm – 7:30pm
Frederick County Historical Society celebrating the Kentucky Derby.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Peter and the Starcatcher, The Commedia Rapunzel, Fred’s Diner, Register for 2017 FunCamp
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Backstage Tours of the Weinberg, Congressional Art Competition, Zora String Quartet, FCPS Honors Chorus, Pete Seeger, Academy of St. Cecilia Youth Orchestra, Erth’s Dinosaur Zoo Live, Frederick Children’s Chorus, Mid-Maryland Performing Arts Center presents “Dance Then, Dance Now”, YMCA presents Dance…is on the Move, and more.
- “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” playing at Way Off Broadway, “Disney’s Cinderella” on the Children’s stage.
- The Performing Arts Factory, All Night Strut, May 13.
- Act Too! Theater Company – Register now for summer productions
Music & Arts in Frederick
- The Skystage is Open. Skystage Events.
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
- The Thing Music Festival, Saturday May 20, 11:00 am – Sunday, May 21 1 am. All day music Festival in Frederick with 60 Bands!
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, 3rd Wednesday’s from May through September, 6 pm to 8 pm, free.
- Frederick Community College. Also, Wind Ensemble Spring Concert, String Ensemble, and Jazz Concert.
- Frederick String Initiative Student Ensembles, ages 7-20 performances May 21 and 27 .
- Concert Series @ Calvary United Methodist Church, 131 W. 2nd St. National Philharmonic Clarinet and String Ensemble, May 1st
- Creative Outlet Drop-In Art Session, May 6, Delaplaine Arts Center
- Frederick County Public Library Programs
- Coming UP: Frederick Symphony Orchestra, May 6, June 17, FCC @ J.B. Kussmaul Theater.
- The Frederick Chorale presents “American Voices”, May 20, 21. Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ, 15 W Church St., Frederick, MD 21701
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 6-7
- 5th Brunswick Wine and Chocolate Walk, May 6th Downtown Brunswick
- Workshops at the Farm, Fox Haven Farm, 3630 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson.
- Spring in the Village, Catoctin Furnace, May 6-7, Crafts, flowers, heirloom
- plants, herbs and spring & mothers day gifts for sale. 12607 Catoctin Furnace Road.
- Alpaca Shearing Days, Sugarloaf Alpacas, 1347 Buckeystown Pke, Adamstown
- Asian Heritage Month Festival, Baker Park, May 6, 11 am to 4 pm.
- Tails on Trails, May 13 Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. Register.
- Bark in the Park, May 13 at Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. 301-600-2936
Main Street Art & Wine Stroll, May 12, 2017 Thurmont Main Street
- Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival, May 13, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 16, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 920 W. 7th Street
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, Carroll Creek Park, May 13, 1:30–5 pm purchase tickets on the website.
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Locomotives on Display, May 2nd, also Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train, Jesse James Day is May 27. Civil War Reenactors May 20.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest, May 5 through October, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- Relay for Life of South Frederick overnight community fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 19- 20. Tuscarora High School
- Maryland Endurance Challenge, May 20, Benefits SHIP.
- Check 106.9 The Eagle Community Calendar for local events.
Dining Out in Frederick:
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Family Meal – 301-378-2895
- The Wine Kitchen – 301-663-6968
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Firestone’s – 301-663-0330
- Dutch’s Daughter – 301-668-9500
Memorial Day Celebrations
- Adventure Park USA Memorial Day Weekend Special
- Last Full Measure of Devotion, Monocacy Battlefield.
- Middletown Memorial Celebration, Parade & Ice Cream Social – Middletown Park, 7628 Coblentz Rd, 11 am – 2 pm.
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Caribbean Wine Festival, live entertainment, more
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Wine in the Woods, Mother’s Day event.
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!
Turf Valley has their annual Preakness Balloon Festival.. It is May 18 – 20