Spooky Fun in October
Welcome Fall! It’s the favorite month for kids of all ages… October in Frederick includes lots of fun things to do: Trick or Treat, Pumpkin patches, corn mazes and many super fun events.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for October’s First Saturday: The Harvest. There will be events for the whole family throughout downtown Frederick to celebrate the coming of Fall. Oct. 1st, 3 to 9 pm.
- For the Kids, Pumpkin painting & Arts & Crafts
- Farmers Market Festival
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Spiced Cider
- Gallery Openings, Artists painting
- Trolley rides.
Sky Stage is open in Downtown Frederick, 59 S. Carroll Street. There will be live music, open mic nights, Literature Reading, Dance Parties, and more. Read the story on the Sky Stage Website.
Fitness Friday’s on the Creek – Free Fitness and Exercise Classes, Lectures, and more. See the Downtown Frederick Partnership website for more information.
Movie Night on the Creek – Halloween Double Feature: Hocus Pocus and Beetlejuice. Fri. Oct. 21, 6 pm to 10 pm.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Bad Jews, Bunnicula, Comedy Pigs, Rocky Horror Show
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: 72-Hour Film Fest, Taps Alive, Girls Guns & Glory, Shatner’s World – We Just Live In It, Click Clack Moo, Sweet Plantain, David Sedaris, Odd Squad Live, Cirque Mechanics: Pedal Pump, Classic Albums Live: Dark Side of the Moon, Rapunzel, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
- Way Off Broadway, Into the Woods, Disney’s 101 Dalmations.
- Fredericktowne Players: Babes in Arms
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop In Art Sessions for Children, First Saturday, 3-5 pm.
- Spires Brass Band: Ride ’em Cowboy, 100 Years of Acoustic Music – F.A.M.E., Windswept Landscapes – Clarinet Concert, The Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Tuesday Lunchtime Recitals. FCC Kussmaul Theater
- Community Concert Series, Starts Oct. 2, Calvary United Methodist Church
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Monthly Carillon Recital at Baker park on the first & third Sunday of the month, at 12:30
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Saturday Excursions 11 am and 2 pm. A Dinner Train, Ghost Trains.
- Mt. Airy Fall Festival, Oct. 1st, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 10 am to 5 pm.
- Oktoberfest, Oct. 1 – 2 @Frederick Fairgrounds
- Brunswick Railroad Days, Oct. 1 – 2, Downtown Brunswick
- Rose Hill Manor Park Fall Festival, Oct. 1 – 2, Crafts, farm exhibits and more.
- Fallfest at Catoctin Furnace, Oct. 7 – 8, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd.
- Catoctin Colorfest, Oct. 8 & 9th, Thurmont Community Park
- Oktoberfest at Shifferstadt, Oct. 15 – 16
- Myersville Harvest Festival, Oct. 1st.
- Fort Ritchie Community Fall Craft Bazaar, Oct. 15th, Fort Ritchie Community Center, 14421 Lake Royer Drive, Cascade Md
- 13th Annual Urbana Indoor Art & Craft Show, Oct. 22, Urbana Fire Hall
- Frederick Wineries have many outdoor Fall events! Check out Linganore Winecellars, Elk Run Vineyards, Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard
- The Birthing Circle is pleased to announce that its annual Birth & Babies Fair will be taking place on Sunday, October 2, 2016 from 12pm-5pm at the Carroll Creek Park in downtown Frederick. This FREE event brings together more than 60+ local pregnancy, birth, & family providers for parents to get the support they need during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period.
- Benefit Concert for Kathryn Snider, Westview Shopping Center, October 15 at 1:00pm
- Convoy of Hope – Oct. 22, 8 am to 3 pm. See Facebook page, for news of free screenings and checkups, and services! This FREE annual event brings medical service providers, local businesses, organizations, and the people of the community together for a day of free medical services and consultations.
- Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes, Oct. 9, Baker Park.
- Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk, Oct. 1, Baker Park
- Pink Ribbon Events, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Mud Dog Run – Zombie Edition 2016, Oct. 29, Crumland Farms 5K – Raising funds for Veterans suffering from PTSD, => 22 Needs A Face.
- Frederick Rescue Mission – Souper Sunday is October 16, 1 – 3 pm. Ayse Meze Lounge. An Empty Bowls Banquet to support the Frederick Rescue Mission.
- Third Annual Faith House Fundraising Dinner, Wednesday, October 26, 7 p.m. at Dutch’s Daughter. Making All Things New.
- Mission of Mercy Moonlight Gala, Friday, Oct. 28, at the Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery, in Thurmont, Md. More information and tickets on the Mission of Mercy Website.
Career Fair – Wednesday, October 5, 11 am – 2 pm. at the Frederick Indoor Sports Center, 1845 Brookfield Ct. Frederick, 21701. For more information: WorkFrederick.com
For History Buffs:
- Death and Destruction in Downtown Frederick. Museum of Civil War Medicine’s Walking Tour, downtown Frederick. Oct. 1st.
- Murder and Mayhem Tours, Civil War Walking Tours, African American History Walking Tours…Museum of Frederick County History.
- Candlelight Cemetery Tours, downtown Frederick.
- Oktoberfest At Schifferstadt, Oct. 15 & 16.
- Battlefield Hikes at Monocacy Battlefield, Oct. 15
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmers Markets are open throughout October.
- I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
Autumn Pumpkins & Corn Mazes
- Summers Farm , 5614 Butterfly Lane, Frederick, Maryland Pumpkin Festival, Oct. 8-9
- Scarecrow Decorating Contest, downtown Middletown, Oct. 22. Also: Color Me Autumn Festival, Oct. 22, 10 AM to 5 PM
- The Great Pumpkin Patch, Oct. 8-9, 12406 Old National Pike District Park, Mt. Airy
- Gaver Farm Fall Festival, Sept. 29th through October 31st.
- Crumland Farm, Sept. 26 – Nov. 1 Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch, Zombie Paintball on Saturdays, North on Route 15, Mile Marker 17. Willow Road.
- Screamland Farms, Fridays & Saturdays Sept. 30 – Nov. 5. 7 – 10 pm.
- Jumbo’s Pumpkin Patch, Sept. 24 – Oct. 31. 6521 Holter Road, Middletown, Md
- Lawyer’s Moonlight Maze, Sept. 24 – Nov. 6, 13003 Creagerstown Road, Thurmont, Md. NOTE: The 2016 maze theme is “Our Heros”! In the maze design you will find a tribute to our firefighters, police officers and nurses/EMTS! Throughout the entire season any firefighter, police officer, nurse/EMT or military member who can show a form of ID will receive $2 off admission. (per ID)
- Brookfield Pumpkins, 8302 Ramsburg Road, Thurmont, Md, Sept. 24 – Oct. 31.
- Mayne’s Tree Farm & Farmer’s Market ,3420 Buckeystown
- Green Meadows Farm, Urbana Md
- Annual Halloween in Baker Park, Oct. 17.
- Not-S0-Scary Family Halloween Party, Adventure Park USA, Oct. 29
- Ghost Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad
- Halloween Trick or Treat, Westview Promenade
- Halloween Trick or Treat in Downtown Frederick, Oct. 29, 10 am to 12 noon.
- Trick or Treat through History, Oct. 28, Rose Hill Manor Park
- Planetarium Shows, Earth and Space Science Lab. 240-236,2694
- Halloween Costume Party at FSK Mall, with Classical Music from the Frederick Symphony Orchestra! Saturday, October 29, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
♥ Enjoy October Fun in Frederick!