As summer is winding down, there are lots of activities to keep people busy.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Dog Days of Summer, August 4th, 2012, 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Dog Costume Contest! $10 application fee ($5 for second dog, third dog free)
- 50% of registration fees go to the Frederick Humane Society
- Register at Two Paws Up
- Yappy Hour after party for dogs and owners at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater w/ two live bands and Flying Dog beer.
- Dog Agility Demonstration
- Live Music several places downtown
- Dine with your dogs at several locations
- VW show at Shab Row & Everedy Square
- Water Stations are set up all over downtown for our furry family members
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Five Alive Happy Hour opens again for the August: August 9th, 16th and 23rd, at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the Carmack Jays parking lot, has great produce, baked goods, wonderful art and more. Check it out on Saturdays from 9AM to noon.
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Saturday, August 4th at the Frederick Visitor Center. Lecture and book signing by Civil War historian Dennis Frye @ 11 am, and a panel discussion on Special Orders #191 @ 1 pm.
- Brunswick Railroad Museum to host “Journey Stories”, a Smithsonian Traveling exhibit. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, August 31 – October 12
- Historic Frederick Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188
- Thunder on the Mountain, Cannon Firing Demonstrations at Gathland State Park, August 18 -19.
- War of 1812 Exhibit: Frederick Supports a Nation, Roger Brook Taney House, July 1 through Dec 31, 2012
- Barbara Fritchie Phenomenon, exhibit at the Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church Street.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, Lee’s famous “Lost Order” on display.
- Rose Hill Day Festival and Antique Car Show, August 19.
- Old Time Ice Cream Social at the Heritage Garden, Historical Society of Frederick, August 16, 6-8.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Robin Hood: Occupy Sherwood, Aug 10-18, FCC
- “Footloose” playing at Way Off Broadway and Disney’s Winnie the Pooh
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, July 4th.
- Frederick Camera Clique Juried Exhibit, FCC, July 14-September 5, 2012, in the Mary Condon Hodgson Art Gallery.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Wiffle Ball Tournament, Baker Park August 4-5.
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:30 AM, Baker Park
- Sunday Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – 1.
- Third Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, August 17-19. The Frederick Clustered Spires High Wheel Race will be a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles.
- Challenge at Musket Ridge, Women’s professional golf, August 20 – 26.
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 4th, make dog-inspired crafts and learn about the country of origin of popular breeds.
- Hero Breakfast, Adventure Park USA, August 25th, 8 am to 11 am.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Picnic, August 8, 23.
- Cancer Awareness Night At Frederick Keys, August 11, 6 pm. Luminaria can be purchased for $10 each for the ceremony following the game, Field of Hope.
- Elks Loge Charity “Bingo Blast”, August 25. Doors open at 11:00 – Lunch at noon – bingo starts at 1:00, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Hood College Community Service Fair, August 30, 11:30 am. Representatives from 32 local nonprofits will be there. 401 Rosemont Ave.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car.
Enjoy Summer in Frederick!