I hope everyone can get out and enjoy the great weather at some of these events coming in August in Frederick Md:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Destination Frederick, August 2nd, 2013, 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Downtown Frederick Selfie Contest! One $25 gift card prize. #DestinationFrederick
- Live Music several places downtown
- Outdoor Dining
- Art Gallery Exhibits
- Give-Away’s, Tastings, and specials in many shops
- Ice Cream Social @ Potter’s Guild, 14 S. Market St. $20 adults, $10 children, take home a beautiful bowl.
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour for the month of August: August 7, 14, 21, 28 at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the old Carmack Jays parking lot, between 3rd and 4th sts. Check it out on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 pm.
- Everedy Square and Shab Row Farmers Market – Thrrusdays, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Free Yoga on the Creek, Thursdays 7 to 8 am.
- Movie Night on the Creek, August 15, 7 pm – 11 pm. Feature: “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy”
Frederick History Buffs
- Church Tour, Aug. 2, 1 pm – 4 pm. Evangelical Lutheran Church, 35 E. Church Street Frederick.
- Wheat Threshing Days, Aug. 2 – 3. Frederick County Farm, 9005 Clemsonville Rd. Union Bridge, MD
- “Huzza For Liberty! 1864 in Frederick County” Exhibit @ Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St.
- 1864 Civil War Walking Tours, 1st & 3rd Saturdays, April – October, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-662-1188. also: Ice Cream Social, Aug. 14.
- Frederick Under the Flag, Aug. 23, Frederick Hessian Barracks, 101 Clarke Place, 301-600-4045
- Middletown Valley Historical Society “The Allen Sparrow Diary Project”.
- Civil War Events in Maryland: 150th year of the 1864 Campaign
- African American History Tours, Roger Brook Taney House, August 2.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, Honoring Heroism Exhibit, though Aug. 15.
- WWII Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 16-17.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: The Last Hurrah – free comedy every Sunday 7 pm, “I am my Own Wife”, “Peter Pan”
- “Les Miserables” playing at Way Off Broadway and “Disney’s Alice in Wonderland Jr.” is coming in September.
- At the Weinberg, Season Tickets are available.
- Fredericktowne Players – Coming in September – Lucky Stiff
- “The Wizard of Odd” FCC Kussmaul Theater, Aug. 8 – 9, 15 – 16, 8pm.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, Aug. 2nd.
- Several Gallery Shows Throughout the month in downtown Frederick.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:00 AM, Baker Park
- First & Third Sundays Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – 1.
- South Mountain Concert Series, Aug. 2, 7 pm. South Mountain Heritage Society, 3 E. Main St. Burkittsville, MD
- Family Movie Night, Middletown Park, Aug. 22.
- It’s the 98th Birthday of the National Park Service! Five National Parks are located in and around Frederick County. Look for special events.
- Potomac Street Mile, August 30, Fun for all ages, Square Corner Park
- Annual Family Fun Day @ the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Aug. 31. 339 S. Seton Ave. Emmitsburg, Md 21788.
For Frederick Kids
- First Friday Family Fun Fest – Westview Promenade, 10 am to 11:30 am.
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 2.
- Hero Day, Adventure Park USA, August 16, 8 am to 10 am.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Train, August 6, 20. Jesse James Day, Aug. 9, Sept. 13.
- Family Movie Night in Middletown Park, August 22.
- St. Jude 5K, Aug. 2nd, Baker Park, 8 am.
- Women’s Distance Festival & Fun Run, Aug. 9th, Plus: Little Women 1K Fun Run for younger runners. FCC, Proceeds to Women’s Giving Circle.
- Running Dirty, with Obstacle Course Hell Mile, After Party, Crumland Farms, Aug. 9. Charity Event.
- Art Auction in October, Participate now through September 21st. Proceeds go to local charities. Find out more at The Muse. 19 N. Market St.
- Fifth Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, August 16. Proceeds to Boy’s & Girls Club. On Saturday, the 17th The 3rd Frederick Clustered Spires High Wheel Race will be a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles. Free for Spectators, 3 pm to 5:30 pm
- Tour De Frederick Covered Bridges Ride, Sunday, Aug. 17, 9 am – 1 pm.
- 9th Annual JoAnn Garrett Classic, raising money for the American Cancer Society, FMH Cancer Patient Assistance. Aug. 2nd Frederick Fair Grounds.
- Sofie & Madigan’s Kidstock, A Music & Arts Festival, Aug. 9, Frederick Fairgrounds, 10 am.
- Funomenon, Saturday, Aug. 23, Frederick Fairgrounds, 12 noon – 6:30. Daniel Bradbery and the Swon Brothers, and more. benefits Cregger (awaiting heart transplant) through the Patty Pallatos Fund.
- J.P. Lunn Fundraiser, Westwinds Golf Club, Aug. 9, Pre-Party for Lily’s Hope Golf Tournament. 7:30 – 11:30, Music by Debbie Williams and the City Slicker Band.
- Gran Fondo National Championship, Bicycle Race, Aug. 24, 2014, proceeds go to the Girl Scouts.
- Free Tickets to the Keys Game, Aug. 15, with a donation to Goodwill.
- Tri-County Poker Run, motorcycle charity event, Aug. 23, 2014, starts at Cactus Flatts.
- Benefit for Bruce Burnett, Saturday Aug. 16, American Legion Post 11. Music: Burn the House. 6-10 pm.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car. and: Murder Mystery Dinner Trains
- South Mountain Creamery Tours, Monday through Friday through Oct.
- Farm to Fork Frederick – August 22 through Labor Day.
- Fireside Fridays @ Black Ankle Vineyards, Live music and wine
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday
- Sunday Live Music @ Linganore Winecellars Wine and Food Pairings.
Enjoy Summer in Frederick!