Stars and Stripes and fireworks are in store for Frederick Md residents and visitors. As we get ready for an influx of people to celebrate, as many as 70,000, there are many activities to enjoy in July:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for July’s First Saturday:
Stars & Stripes
as well as Frederick Tourism’s historic celebration: Frederick Ransomed! July 5th, 2012, from 3 – 9 PM. Help raise the ransom at First Saturday in July as the Downtown Frederick Partnership commemorates the ransoming of the city of Frederick by Confederate General Jubal Early in 1864.
- Collect Ransom Dollars at stores, restaurants, and museums
- Children’s Activities
- Live Music several places downtown
- Church Tours
- Read more at the Visit Frederick Website
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Five Alive Happy Hour for the summer months: May through August, Alive @ Five is held every Thursday of each month, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
Frederick History Buffs
- Frederick Ransomed! 1864, the Final Invasion, July 5th, Downtown Frederick
- Civil War Walking Tour – July 5, 19, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188
- Summer Lecture Series at the Museum of Civil War Medicine
- Civil War Encampment at Rose Hill Manor, July 12th and 13th.
- Roger Brook Taney House – African American Heritage Walk
- 150th Commemoration of the Battle of Monocacy, July 6th and 7th, Honoring Heroism Exhibit
- 150th Commemoration of Middletown’s Civil War Ransom, July 7, Middletown Town Hall.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Eleemosynary
- Les Miserables playing at Way Off Broadway, Disney’s Peter Pan, Jr.
- Fredericktowne Players – All Shook Up, July 18, 19, 25-27, FCC Kussmaul Theater
- Celebrate Frederick– Summer Concert Series @ Baker Park Amphitheatre
- Summer Chamber Music Festival at Hood College
- Summer Concert Series by South Mountain Heritage Society
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, July 5th.
- Frederick County Art Association Website
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:30 AM, Baker Park
- River & Trail Outfitters, Kayak Trips, Canoeing
- Red, White and Brew BBQ & Bluegrass, July 12, Brunswick Campground
For Frederick Kids
- Celebrate Frederick – Baker Park Amphitheatre.
- Teddy Bear Train, Jesse James Day, Walkersville Southern Railroad
- Adventure Park Wild West Day, July 12, Adventure Park USA
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website. Note the new website.
- The C. Burr Artz Library has a summer reading program, and many other activities.
- Way Off Broadway, Children’s Summer Camp
- Sophie and Madigan’s Painted Butterfly Gala and Silent Auction, July 19, 3 pm @ Surreybrooke Garden Center
- Sophie and Madigan’s Playground also has another big event: Kidstock! Kidstock is an all day music and art festival on August 9th at 10am-8pm at the E-ventplex, the Great Frederick Fair. Tickets are $10.00 online or $15.00 at the gate.
Performers include: EmiSunshine
Frederick Rock School
More information can be found at http://www.
- The 5th Annual Cupcake Run, July 26, Benefits Blessings in A Backpack for Frederick School Children, Registration closes July 23.
- First Annual Battlefield Poker Run – July 26, This 70 mile motorcycle run from Quartermaster Cigars, portion of proceeds goes to Wounded Warrior Project.
- Bobbi Jo 5K Memorial Run/Walk, Thurmont Md, July 19
- St. Jude 5K For The Cure, August 2
- Believe in Izaiah Charity Harley-Davidson Ride, Aug. 2.
- Tour de Frederick, August 15 – 17, Benefits Girls & Boys Club
- Frederick Community Foundation
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open – I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Fox Haven Organic Farm and Learning Center has gardening workshops and events throughout the summer. 3630 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson MD
- The 5th Annual “A Taste of the Town”, will take on a Civil War flair, Middletown, July 12th. 5 – 9 pm. See Mainstreet Middletown Website for details and tickets.
Independence Day Celebrations in & Around Frederick
- Star Spangled Fireworks Train, July 3, Walkersville Southern Railroad
- Celebration in Brunswick, July 5th
- Celebration in Baker Park, July 4th, noon to Dusk, Fireworks, music, chili cook-off, kids’ activities
- Barbara Fritchie Motorcycle Classic – July 4th, Frederick Fair Grounds
See my Summer Guide of Frederick Activities for a Full List for your Summer in Frederick.