First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for June’s First Saturday: I Art Downtown Frederick. The 20th Frederick Festival of the Arts is this weekend (June 1st and 2nd), and there will be artistic events throughout town. Frederick’s renown as an artist’s enclave is growing!
- Two Community Art Projects
- Live Music several places downtown
- Free Trolley Rides
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour for the summer months at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Alive @ Five is held every Thursday, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and takse place from 5-8pm.
The Arts in Frederick
- The 20th Annual Festival of the Arts, along Carroll Creek in Downtown Frederick along Carroll Creek. This year there will be over 105 fine artists and craftsmen from across the country. Downtown Frederick, June 1-2.
- Cowork Frederick: Featured Artist of the month, painter Bill Moser, WWII Veteran.
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages. June 1, 3-5 pm.
- Summer Concert Series @ Baker Park Bandshell, Sunday evenings @ 7 pm.
- Summerfest Family Theatre @ Baker Park Bandshell, Thursday evenings @ 7 pm.
- 27th Annual Spring Catoctin Mountain Music and Dance Weekend, June 15 to Sun June 17.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, “A Salute to Broadway” JB Kussmaul Theater at FCC, June 15, 8 pm.
- Summer Chamber Music Festival, June 20, Hood College. June 27.
- Easels in Frederick, June 18 – 22, 2012 in Downtown Frederick
- Urbana Music Festival, June 22, Urbana Regional Library & The Villages of Urbana. Music, Arts and Crafts. 301-600-1629
Theater in Frederick
- The Frederick Film Festival – Fri. June 28 – 30, 7 pm @ the Weinberg, NOT JUST FILMS… The festival includes live music all three days with: Hard Swimmin’ Fish, Hugh & Zane Campbell, and the Grammy-award band, the Klezmatics.
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: “Pickle My Monkey”, “Daytona McKane and the Quest for the Golden Mole”, “The Young Olympians”, Summer Camps for Children, and more.
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: 24/7 Dance Studio Annual Recital, June 1 and 2.
- Nine to Five, the Musical playing at Way Off Broadway, Disney’s Cinderella
- Civil War Walking Tour – Saturdays 11 am, Sundays 1:30 pm. Museum of Frederick County History
- On the Border of Freedom, Slavery in Frederick County Museum Tours, June 1, July 6, Aug. 3.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Black History Display, June 2. MVHS Stone House Museum, 305 W Main St., Middletown, 301-371-6410
- Hands On History Program, Historical Society of Frederick County, Third Wednesday of every month, 24 E. Church Street.301-663-1188
- Emmitsburg Heritage Days, June 28 -30. Also, June 28, Opening of the Mason Dixon Welcome Center Exhibit.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- The Original British Car Day, Lilypons Water Gardens, June 2.
- Dairy Month at Green Meadows Farm, Wed through Sun in June.
- Brunswick Downhill Mile Run, June 8, Square Corner Park, Brunswick
- Jr. Ranger Weekend at Monocacy Battlefield, June 8-9, 301-662-3515
- Woodsboro Annual Fireman’s Carnival, June 8, 4:30 pm to 11 pm. Woodsboro Activities Complex & Carnival Grounds – Woodsboro, MD
- 5th Annual Downhill Mile Race-Saturday, June 9, 2012, 5 pm.
- Family Movie Night, Middletown Park, June 14, See Middletown Community Website
- 7th Annual Frederick Barnstormers Tour, June 8.
- Elk Run Jazz Festival, & Father’s Day Celebration, June 15 – 16.
- Fort Ritchie Community Center 2nd Annual Bass Fishing Tournament, June 22, Lake Royer, Cascade Md.
- Mountain Top Heritage Days, June 29. Fort Ritchie, Cascade, Md
- Music in the Garden Twilight Walk, June 22, 6-9, Surrybrooke Gardens in Middletown.
- Camero Nationals @ Frederick Fairgrounds, June 21 – 22
- Alpaca Babypalooza, June 22, 23, Adamstown.
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour first and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Saturday Excursions 11 am and 2 pm.
- Everedy Square & Shab Row Teddy Bear Picnic, Sat. June 8, 11 am to 2.
- Wild West Day, June 22nd, Adventure Park USA
- Dutch’s Daughter Scrabble Tournament, Sunday, June 9, 6 pm See Families Plus website
- Golden Gears Car Club, Benefit Car Show @ NAPA Auto Parts, Jun 9, 10 am to 3 pm, All proceeds benefit Hospice of Frederick County.
- Crabby Daddy’s 4th Annual JDRF Benefit Motorcycle Ride, June 8, Begins at Buckeystown Pub. 8:30 to 6 pm.
- Guiding Light Poker Run, June 22, 11 am to 6 pm, to benefit the Frederick County Foster Adoptive Parents Association. @ Harley Davidson of Frederick.
* Convoy of Hope
June 1st at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 10 am. The Convoy of Hope is an event where people can get many free services, from medical and educational. There will be live music and entertainment, free carnival games for the kids, free haircuts for the family, and more. National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. is a sponsor.
For Frederick Foodies:
Swinetastic BBQ Festival – Fri. June 14 through Sat. 15th –Frederick Fairgrounds
Farmer’s Markets Open!
- Thurmont Flea and Farmer’s Market open on Saturdays.
- I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
Francis Scott Key – “Anthem and Author Reunited”
The weekend of June 14-15 is a Star Spangled Event, full of activities to commemorate the Original Manuscript of the Star-Spangled Banner. See the Frederick Tourism Website for all the events and details.
Enjoy Summer♥ in Frederick! Check out my post “Summer Events in Frederick”