March in Frederick Md
March… in like a lamb, out like Lion …. wait, it’s all messed up! The weather in Frederick Md, I mean. But I’m not complaining.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for March’s First Saturday (Mar. 3rd) is “Casino Night”, with over 40 downtown Frederick shops participating in “Merchant 21”, a progressive card game. With each purchase, shoppers get a card and try to get as close to 21 as they can, cashing them in at the end of the night for a chance to win prizes.
Some of the fun events:
- Games of chance and discounts at various shops
- Special Screening of a Family-friendly movie
- “Mocktail” stations throughout downtown
- Live Music on several corners
- Trolley Rides
- Gallery exhibit openings and more…
- More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
The Evangelical Lutheran Church, 31 E Church will offer babysitting services in the Schaeffer Center from 6—10pm for a flat price of $10 per child. They are raising money for their youth group’s summer trip.
March Events in Frederick
The Arts in Frederick:
- Weinberg Performances for March, The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra will play this month:) The MozART Group, The Music of Stevie Wonder, Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild, Frederick Regional Youth Orchestra… and more.
- March at Maryland Ensemble Theatre The Young Olympians, Antigone, The Comedy Pigs, Pancake on Pancake, RetroProm, more.
- Bare Bard Repertory Season by Maryland Shakespeare Festival, at All Saints Episcopal Church, 106 W. Church Street. Julius Caesar, All’s Well That Ends Well, Much Ado About Nothing, Merchant of Venice performed in repertory. Fri & Sat 8pm, Sun 2pm. (All Month)
- Five Photogs: Five Visions @ the Cultural Arts Center, Workshops, Frederick Artists Market, Plays and exhibits.
- The Delaplaine Visual Arts Center has several exhibits and workshops in March.
For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Lego Bookfest @ C. Burr Artz Library, Saturday Mar. 10, 10 am to 4:30 pm. Sunday, Mar. 11, 1 pm to 4:30 pm.
- History Hour, the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St., has preschool History Hour programs, the first and third Tuesday of the month from 1 to 2 pm.
- 42nd Annual Maple Syrup Demonstrations – March 10, 11 & 17, 18 at The William Houck area at Cunningham Falls State Park. (301) 271-7574. (We did this several years ago with the kids… informative and fun:)
- Francie’s Family 5K Run/Walk. March 17, 2012 in Middletown.
- The 14th Annual Catoctin Affair to support the Mental Health Association of Frederick County, March 23, 6:30 – 11:30, Holiday Inn Grand Ballroom.
Dining Out in Frederick:
- Frederick Restaurant Week – Monday through Sunday, March 5 – 11 is Frederick Restaurant Week. Participating restaurants are offering special meals at special prices; its a great time to try out that new restaurant you’ve been wondering about, or visit your favorite. See the website for details.
- Leprechaun Luau @ Frederick Fairgrounds, March 10, 4 to 8 pm. Food from the South Pacific and Flying Dog beers and soft drinks. Interesting.
Fly It Forward @ Frederick Airport,
Saturday, March 10. This event is for women and girls who are curious about flying. Includes free flight, Food, tethered hot air balloon rides, airport tower tours, and wing walker, Jane Wicker, and Sarah Fraher from Flying Wild Alaska!
March 31st is Bell and History Day.
Stay tuned for future post about these County-wide events in cooperation with the Frederick Historic Sites Consortium.
Feel Free to add any events in the comments! Bring an umbrella on First Saturday!