First Saturday events are a great time to get out and explore the Historic District, or downtown Frederick.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for March’s First Saturday is “Shop Small, Shop Local”. Lasts from 3 to 9 pm.
Some of the fun events:
- Live Music in several locations
- Trolley Rides
- Gallery exhibit openings and more…
- More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
Did you know you can participate in the downtown social media sphere on Twitter and Instagram? use @DwntwnFrederick and #FredFirstSat
March Events in Frederick
For Frederick Homeowners:
- Frederick County Builder’s Association 40th Annual Home Show – March 21 – 22, Great Frederick Fairgrounds
Frederick Restaurant Week:
- March 2 – 8. Fixed price meals, lunch and dinner. This is a great way to try out a new restaurant. See participating restaurants on the website. #FredRestWK
The Arts in Frederick:
- Weinberg Performances for March, We Banjo 3, Cherish the Ladies, Jesse Cook, Fred Hersch Trio, Teelin Irish Dance Co., Comedy & Magic Spectacular, and The Americana Festival, and more.
- Weinberg Speaker Series: General Stanley McChrystal, March 11.
- March at Maryland Ensemble Theatre The Little Prince, The Comedy Pigs, The Arsonists, RetroProm.
- Way off Broadway Dinner Theater Fiddler on the Roof, and The Berenstain Bears.
- The Performing Arts Factory, The Wizard of Oz, March 1, 6-8.
- The Delaplaine Visual Arts Center has several exhibits and workshops in March. Drop-in art session First Saturday. Art Carnival, Mar. 21.
- Pianist Viktor Valkov @ Hood College, Mar. 24. 3 pm.
- An Afternoon With Jennifer Waters, Soprano, March 23, 7-9:30 pm. Grace United Church of Christ, 25 E. 2nd St., Frederick with Maryland Concert Opera
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, From Darkness to Light, March 7, Frederick Community College
- Celtic Concert with the ShamRogues, March 19, Mount St. Mary’s University.
For the Kids & Family
- Movie Night at the Shrine – National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, March 14, “Bright Eyes starring Shirley Temple“
- Tot Swap Children’s Consignment Sale, Frederick Fair Grounds, March 19-23rd.
- Breakfast with the Princesses, Sat. Mar. 7, 8 am – 10 am, Adventure Park USA
- Walkersville Southern Railroad, Bunny Train, Mar. 28-29, April 4.
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Frederick County Public Libraries have many events for children. Check out their events calendar.
- Frederick County Spelling Bee, JBK Theater at FCC, March 14.
- 45th Annual Maple Syrup Demonstrations – March 14-15, 21-22 at The William Houck area at Cunningham Falls State Park. (301) 271-7574. (informative and fun, games, stories and crafts, pancake and sausage breakfast from 9:30 to 2 pm) Friends of Cunningham Falls State Park & Gambrill State Park
- Ausherman Planetarium – “Teddy Bear Night”, Perfect Little Planets, The Most Epic Pi Day Ever! Enchanted Reef, Wonders of the Universe
- Crumland Farms Spring Fling, March 28-29, April 4, 11, 12.
- Frederick County Marble Collector Show & Festival, Sat. Mar. 28, 10 am to 4 pm, Frederick Fairgrounds. Free.
- 17th Treasured Heirloom Event – Sat. Mar. 28, 9 am to 3 pm, Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center, Fundraising Event
- There are ongoing history lectures from the Historical Society of Frederick County. Learn more on their website.
- Leprechaun Luau, by the Rotary Club of Frederick, Saturday, March 7th, 4 – 8 pm. Frederick Community College
- Breakaway 5K Run. March 7, in Baker Park. Proceeds to Heartly House.
- 80’s Retro 5K Run. March 1, 10 am. Eventplex at Frederick Fair Gounds, 797 E. Patrick St. Proceeds to Special Olympics.
- The 17th Annual Catoctin Affair to support the Mental Health Association of Frederick County, April 11, 6:30 – 11:30, Holiday Inn Grand Ballroom.
- From One to Another Restyle Consignment Sale March 26-29, Frederick Fair Grounds
- Clutch the Future – Benefit for the Women to Women Mentoring Program and FCC Scholarships, Mar. 25
- Road Race Runner 2014 5K Events throughout Maryland
For the Foodies in Frederick:
- Frederick Restaurant Week – Monday through Sunday, March 2 – 8 is Frederick Restaurant Week. Participating restaurants are offering special meals at special prices; its a great time to try out that new restaurant you’ve been wondering about, or visit your favorite. See the website for details.
- Pot of Gold St. Patty’s Day Pub Crawl @ Downtown Frederick Pubs, March 17, 1 to 7 pm.
- Black Ankle Vineyards
- Linganore Winecellars – Barrel Tasting Event, March 7, Antipasta and Wine
- Elk Run – Barrel and Vertical Tasting
Feel Free to add any events in the comments!