Things to Do in Frederick December 2012
Squeeee! It’s not just Holidays, it’s all the beautiful lights and fun activities that make it so special in Frederick! December is a such a full month, There are 4 first Saturdays! Here are most of the things to do in Frederick December 2012: [please feel free to leave a comment with anything I’ve missed:]
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday” is themed “Four Saturdays in December”, featuring evenings of carriage rides, food & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists and live entertainment. Kids will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores.
- December 1st: EAT
- December 8th: DRINK
- December 15th: BE MERRY
- December 22nd: SHOP
- (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Special Events
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec 1-2, Downtown Frederick, See Celebrate Frederick Website for details.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Saturdays and Sundays, 4 – 8 pm. $10. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Cookies and Carriage Holiday Light Tour, Friday Dec. 14, 5:30 – 9 pm. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Holiday Open House, Urbana Library, Dec. 1st and 2nd.
- Christmas in the Valley, Dec. 1st. Main St. Middletown
- Live Nativity, Urbana Fire Department, Dec. 2. at 6, 7, and 8 pm.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Open house Dec. 1. Super Secret Elf Workshop, Dec. 1.
- A Night of Hollywood – “Elf-Man” Premier, Weinberg Center for the Arts, Dec. 1. 7 pm. Also, The Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, the 18th Annual Messiah Sing-Along, and New Year’s Eve Eve Eve with Deanna Bogart Band.
- Spires Brass Band, FCC, Dec 1. ALSO, Jazz Two! Dec. 3rd, 6th, Choral Arts Society of Frederick Concert, Dec. 8. Holiday Highlights Concert, Dec. 9. “Christmas Around the World”, with the Frederick Symphony Orchestra, De. 15-16.
- Clara & The Nutcracker Prince, Way Off Broadway, Nov. 10 – Dec 29. Also: Season’s Greetings: An Empire Christmas, through Dec. 29th. ALSO: the 4th Annual New Year’s Eve Celebration
- Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Cultural Arts Center. Dec. 1st, 2 pm. Dec. 2nd, 2 pm.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: Commedia Puss and Boots, performed by the Fun Company. Also, It’s a Wonderful Life, A live radio play.
- Frosty the Snowman, Dec. 1, 8, 15, 22, 27, by Dance Unlimited & Other Voices Theatre
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour first and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Third Annual Shadrack’s Light Show, Adventure Park USA, Nov. 19 – Jan 3.
- Snow-Global Celebration, Sat. Dec. 8, 10 am to 2 pm, William Talley Recreation Center, 121 N. Bentz St.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 7, 6:30 pm.
- Cinderella Carriage Rides, Sat. Dec. 8th, 4 – 8 pm. Brewer’s Alley, 124 N. Market St., $25. Call City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 1. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16.
- FCSME Model Train Open House, De. 8, 9, Jan. 6, 13, 20, 27. This display of an HO and HOn3 model railroad is built inside a real Chesapeake & Ohio horse/baggage car. open 1-4.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Ausherman Planetarium, 210 Madison St., Dec. 13.
- Breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Clause, Way Off Broadway, Dec. 23-24.
Goodwill & Peace to All, Holiday Fashion Show and Cocktail, $35, $40. Venue: The Faux School, 35 South Carroll St. Dec. 1, 7 to 10 pm.
Harvester Holidays, Dec. 1st. Take a tractor drawn wagon ride through downtown Frederick. Support Operation Rescue.
Festival of the Greens and Stockings – ends Dec. 1st. Cultural Arts Center, 15 N. Market ST
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
For History Buffs:
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec. 8. Various locations in Frederick County, including the Frederick County Museum, 24 East Church St.
- Candlelight Ghost Tours, downtown Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 1st and 2nd. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Thurmont Christmas House Tour, Creeger House, 11 N. Church St. Thurmont, Dec. 8-9.
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield.
- Winterfest: Arts & Crafts Market, Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, Nov. 17 – 18.
- A Pry House Christmas, Dec. 15, Keedysville, Md
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick. 301-600-4045
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – Christmas Light Show at Adventure Park USA, from Nov. 19 – Jan. 3. 301-865-6800
- Festival of Lights, Nov. 30, City Hall Courtyard
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 1-2.
- Holiday Open House, Urbana Library, Dec. 1-2.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. If I missed anything, be sure to leave word in the comments, I’m happy to post your event. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
And by all means, Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!