Things to Do in Frederick November 2012
It’s time to put our minds on the Christmas Holiday! November is a busy month with lots of opportunities to have some Fall Fun, while you check things off your Christmas list.
First Saturday in the Historic District
This coming Saturday, Nov. 3rd, is themed “Holiday Open House”, features an evening of carriage rides, food & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists and live entertainment. There will be free trolley rides from 4 to 8:30. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Show
The Frederick Maryland Christmas Show will be at the Frederick Fairgrounds on W. Patrick Street, November 16–18, and 23-25, 2012. Friday & Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Sunday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Frosty Friday in Downtown Frederick
Nov. 23rd, 8 AM to 9 PM, Live entertainment, hot chocolate, and Frosty the Snowman to liven up Christmas shopping in the Historic District.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Community Supported Art Party, First Saturday, 3-5 pm. Art Night, Thursday, Nov. 15.
- Acoustic Africa Music Performance, Weinberg Center for the Arts, Nov. 3. Also, Ben Williams and Sound Effect, Ralphie May, and Red Green Live, Cindy Williams in Nunset Boulevard, and more.
- Messiah, Hood College, The 65th Anniversary, Nov. 17 – 18.
- Wonder of the World, Jack B. Kussmaul Theater, Nov. 1, 2. Thurs – Fri. 8 pm. FCC Drama Students perform an award-winning comedy.
- Free Brownbag Concerts, Wednesday at noon, Nov. 14, Grace United Church of Christ. 25 E. 2nd Street
- FCC Faculty Art Exhibit, Nov. 3 – 29.
- Clara & The Nutcracker Prince, Way Off Broadway, Nov. 10 – Dec 29.
- Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Cultural Arts Center.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: Commedia Puss and Boots, performed by the Fun Company. Also, It’s a Wonderful Life, A live radio play.
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour first and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Third Annual Shadrack’s Light Show, Adventure Park USA, Nov. 19 – Jan 3.
- Open house of the Earth & Space Science Lab, Nov. 5th, from 1-8pm. 5oth Anniversary. 210 Madison St. Frederick, Md.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 7, 6:30 pm.
- Neighborhood Toy Store Day – Saturday, Nov. 10, From 10 am to 9 pm Dancing Bear Toys & Gifts, on Market Street in downtown Frederick is supporting 4 non-profits in Frederick, by giving customers $1 for every $10 spent for the donation jar of their choice. This year’s featured nonprofits: Advocates for Homeless Families, Families Plus, Frederick Alliance for Youth, and Police Activities League (PAL).
- “For the Love of Frederick” Ron Young Art Show to benefit the Scholarship fund at Frederick Community College. Friday, Nov. 2, 5 pm @ Antique Imports, 125 N. East Street.
- Eighty-Eight Keys for PAL, Sat. Nov. 3, 6 – 10 pm @ Delaplaine Visual Arts Center. A fundraiser for the Frederick Police Activities League. Tickets $50, + silent auction.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- Brewer’s Alley Charity Day, Nov. 6, 11 am. Benefits the Religious Coalition for Emergency Human Needs. also: Scouting for Food – Boy Scout Food Drive, Nov. 10.
- Way Station Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot, Baker Park, Nov. 22, 8 am.
- 17th Annual Mission of Mercy Gala, Saturday, November 17, 2012/6:00 PM – 11:00 PM, Bethesda Marriott at Pooks Hill / Bethesda, MD
- Animal Welfare League of Frederick County – 2 Fundraisers:
1. Cut-A-Thon at Sanctuary Salon, Nov. 11,9 am to 3 pm, 183 Thomas Johnson Dr. and
2. Document Shredding Event- Nov. 17, 9 am to 12 noon, 1202 E. Patrick St., Frederick Md
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Thanksgiving Dinner, as well as volunteers.
For History Buffs:
- Candlelight Ghost Tours, downtown Frederick.
- A Night at the Brunswick Railroad Museum, Nov. 2, 3. Also, Victorian Christmas, Nov. 24, 25.
- Candy Making Workshop, Nov. 3, 1-3, Museum of Frederick County History
- Cocoa with Santa, Nov. 2, 1-4, Museum of Frederick County History
- Thomas Johnson’s Birthday Tea, and other events, Nov. 4, Rose Hill Manor Park & Museum. (301) 600-1650
- Winterfest: Arts & Crafts Market, Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, Nov. 17 – 18.
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – Christmas Light Show at Adventure Park USA, from Nov. 19 – Jan. 3. 301-865-6800
- Tree Lighting Ceremony at Westview Promenade, Nov. 17, 5 – 8 pm. Storybook characters to pose with children, music, hot cocoa and its free.
- Santa Arrives at 7 pm sharp in a horse-drawn carriage at Everedy Square and Shab Row. Nov. 23.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Santa Train, Nov. 24, 25, Dec. 1-2, 8-9, 15. 301-898-0899
- Festival of Lights, Nov. 30, City Hall Courtyard
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 1-2.
- Holiday Open House, Urbana Library, Dec. 1-2.
Veterans Day Celebrations
- The United States Army Band, Sat. Nov. 10, 7 pm @ the Weinberg Center.
- Big Band Dance Salute: 80th Veterans Day Parade, Nov. 3, American Legion, 18 S. Maple Ave. Brunswick, Md, 7 – 11. $10.
- 80th Annual Brunswick Veterans Parade, Nov. 4, Parade begins at 2 pm, opening ceremony at 1 pm. Square Corner Park, Downtown Brunswick
- 8th Annual Echo Taps, Nov. 11, Market St. and 2nd St. 1:30 pm and 1:59 pm.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. If I missed anything, be sure to leave word in the comments, I’m happy to post your event. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
Enjoy this busy month, Karen