Things to Do in Frederick Md – April 2014
We’re still waiting for Spring to… spring up! *fingers crossed* There are many fun events to celebrate living in Frederick:
First Saturday in the Historic District
Special Easter Raffle –
Buy a raffle ticket and win a 3-foot tall chocolate bunny. Proceeds support Downtown Frederick Partnership, which supports our downtown merchants. Tickets are on sale at Home Essentials, Simply Beautiful Botique, Flights of Fancy, North market Pop Shop, Woodsboro Bank, Ec’clectibles, and the Frederick Coffee Company.
The theme for April’s First Saturday: Book It!. The theme is reading and learning throughout Downtown Frederick on Saturday, April 5th, from 3 pm to 9 pm. Events are for the entire family, but there are also children’s events:
- Authors are on hand to meet and greet.
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Scavenger Hunt – get your passport at the Downtown Frederick Website
- FCPL Book Mobile
- Story Telling 4 pm and 5 pm, Carroll Creek Trellis
- Interactive story time with Alice in Wonderland @ The Dancing Bear
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Make your own bookmark
- Special sales throughout downtown, and more
Find a lot more details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website. Remember: Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays… parking is only $1 in the parking garages downtown.
- Bring a Broom Saturday is the second annual downtown clean-up event, Saturday April 26. See Downtown Frederick Partnership website for details.
The Arts in Frederick
- Cowork Frederick Artist of the month opening – A reception and exhibit of Aynex Mercado’s Quilt Art from 4 – 8. Acoustic Music by Todd Walker from 5 – 7. Vince Coates will read his original poetry from 7:30 – 8.
- RoseAnne Cash will be in Frederick for a series of book reading and signing, for Frederick Reads, Tues. April 1st:
- 11 am at the Jack B. Kussmaul Theater at Frederick Community College, 7932 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick
- 7:30 pm at the Weinberg Center for the Arts, 20 W. Patrick Street, Downtown Frederick
- Weinberg Center for the Arts has a lot going on in April: Nora Jane Struthers & the Party Line, Ray Brubacher Celebration – honoring the longtime organist of the Weinberg who recently passed away, Dr. Ben Carson will be part of the Frederick Speaker Series, The New Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, In the Mood – 1940’s Big Band Song & Swing Dance Review, and more.
- Way Off Broadway will be producing Singin’ in the Rain on the main stage, and Peter Pan Jr. starts April 27th. in the Children’s Theatre.
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre is showing The Lieutenant of Inishmore.
- Reefer Madness: The Musical, Frederick Community College, April 4, 8 pm AND Dancing in the Street, April 13, 4 pm. All That Jazz! April 24. 7:30 pm
- The Belmonte Trio, Frederick Community College, April 4th, Free.
- Delaplaine Gala, April 26, 6:30 to 11 pm. Frederick’s biggest art party!
For the History Buff
- Bell and History Day, Saturday, April 1, April 5, 6 am to 4 pm. Free events throughout the county to celebrate Frederick County History. All Museums (20) are open, bell-themed hands-on activities and many exhibits.
- Bell and History Handbell Festival, April 6, National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Emmitsburg. 5 pm.
- 1864 Civil War Walking Tour, April 5, 19 and through Oct. Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St. 301-663-1188
- Brunswick Speaker Series Local Author John Ashbury, April 3, 2013 • Brunswick Heritage Museum
For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Spring Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show @ Adventure Park USA, April 13. See website for details.
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums Spring Festival, Celebrate Frederick’s agricultural heritage, Sat 10am-4pm, Sun. 12 -4 pm. April 26-27.
- The Frederick County Library has many events for children… like Board Game Monday… American Girl events…Check out the FCPL website. There are lots of fun things to do in Frederick for children.
- Bunny Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, April 12 – 13.
- Children’s Festival in Baker Park, April 26. 10 am-3 pm.
- The Teacher from the Black Lagoon & Other Story Books, Weinberg Theatre, Friday April 25, 10 am & 12:15 pm.
- Op to Pop Part XI, Frederick Community College, April 6th. A concert and silent auction to benefit the Anne-Lynn Gross Breast Cancer Resource Center at Frederick Community College. At FCC’s Jack B. Kussmaul Theater, Concert begins at 2:30 p.m. $10 general admission. $8 for students.
- Clutch the Future Purse Auction- April 5, FCC Field House. Fundraiser for Woman to Woman Mentoring Program of Frederick County
- Autism Outreach: Community Art Days, Apr. 4-6, The Business Factory of Frederick, 801 N East St. Suite 6A
- Mud Dog Run, Ceresville Mansion, April 26th, 12:30 – 3 pm. benefits Lifetime Wells for Ghana. Get tickets
- The Annual Cakes for a Cause Cupcake Run – Sunday, April 14, 2012, beginning at 8 a.m. Starting from Monocacy Park, 409 Delaware Avenue. To register, go to http://cakesforcause.org/
- See many more non-profit events at Frederick Community Calendar Website
Frederick Easter Activities
- Zoe’s Chocolate Co. first ever Easter Egg Hunt throughout downtown Frederick. Stop by to get riddles, take them home to solve and joint the hunt on April 12th.
- Easter Breakfast and Egg Hunt, April 19, 8 am- 10pm, Adventure Park USA.
- Easter Egg Hunt at Westview Promenade, April 5th.
- Easter on the Farm, Crumland Farms, April 13, 19, 11 am to 4 pm.
- Easter Egg Hunt, April 16 – 20, Green Meadows Petting Farm, 10102 Fingerboard Road
- Surreybrooke Scavenger Hunt in the Children’s Garden, April 19.
- Easter Egg Roll, April 19, Rose Hill Manor Park.
The Great Outdoors
- Running of the Alpacas, April 5, Sugarloaf Alpaca Company Farm
- Carillon Recital in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 13:30 – 1 pm.
- Frederick Keys Baseball, opening game: April 8.7 pm.
- Fourth Annual Fishing Rodeo, Gambrill State Park, April 12. 9 am to 1 pm. ages 14 and under.
- Mountainside 5th Annual Spring Fest. April 26, 10 am – 3 pm. rain date April 27. An Earth Day Celebration for the whole family.
- Jr. Ranger Day, Monocacy Battlefield, April 26
Frederick Md Small Business
- The Frederick Startup Community, a Meetup Group, will meet on Thursday, April 24th, 7 pm at Cowork Frederick, 122 E. Patrick Street.
- Frederick Entrepreneur Support Network is a repository of many resources for small businesses in Frederick.
Enjoy Spring in Frederick! There are a lot of fun things to do in Frederick this April.