Spring in Frederick Maryland – April 2017
Welcome Spring! It looks like April is coming in like a lamb…and full of fun events to celebrate the season:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for April’s First Saturday: Gong Green in Frederick. The events throughout Downtown Frederick celebrate sustainability on Saturday, April 1st, from 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Trolley rides
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Several Art Exhibit Openings in Downtown Galleries
- Car Show at Shab Row and Everedy Square
- Special sales throughout downtown, and more
Find a lot more details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website. Remember: Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays… parking is only $1 in the parking garages downtown.
For the Love of Sky Stage, April 1st, 10 am to 12:30 pm. Volunteer clean-up to get Sky Stage ready for the season.
Perennial Planting and Spring Clean-up, April 8, 9 am – 12 noon, Carroll Creek Linear Park.
Bring A Broom Saturday, spring cleaning in downtown Frederick, April 29, 8:30 am to 11:00 am.
Downtown Frederick Wedding Walk, April 29. Register at Volt, 11 am – 12 noon.
Write Directions Institute Spring Classes – Held at Cowork Frederick, 122 E Patrick St.
The Arts in Frederick
- Weinberg Center for the Arts in April: 2017 Comedy and Magic Spectacular, The Quebe Sisters, Piano Battle, Sleeping Beauty, and more. The Frederick Speaker Series: Bill Nye.
- Way Off Broadway Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Disney’s The Little Mermaid ends April 8th. in the Children’s Theatre. Coming in May: Disney’s Cinderella Kids.
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre is showing Peter and the Starcatcheer, The Commedia Rapunzel, register for FunCamp.
- Frederick Community College, Jazz in April, all month.
- Hood College, Spring Dance Ensemble.
- Mount St. Mary’s Chorale Concert, April 23, 7 pm – 8 pm. Emmitsburg.
- Frederick Chorale and the Frederick Children’s Chorus, May 13, Earth Songs.
- Delaplaine Gala, Delaplaine Gala coming up on May 20, Frederick’s biggest art party! Art Classes, Enrollment is open for summer camps.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, May 6. Romanian Rainbow.
For the History Buff
- Clara Barton – An American Life, April 1, 2:30 – 3:30 pm. National Museum of Civil War Medicine.
- Bell and History Day, Saturday, April 8, 10 am to 4 pm. Free events throughout the county to celebrate Frederick County History. 21 Museums and locations are open, bell-themed hands-on activities and many exhibits. Contact Frederick Visitor Center for info and passports. 151 S. East Street. This event from the Frederick County Historic Consortium.
- Bell and History Day Handbell Festival, the day concludes at The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg, Md. 7 pm. Read more on Visit Frederick website.
- Frederick County Marble Show and Festival, April 1, Frederick Fairgrounds. 10 am – 4 pm. Frederick County Knucklers.
- From April through October, Civil War Walking Tours, Murder and Mayhem Tours, and Student Walking Tours in downtown Frederick, Frederick County Museum of History. Also: Art and Architecture Walking Tours via Historical Society of Frederick County.
For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Egg Roll at Rose Hill Manor, April 15. Nature Fest, April 22, Superero Training Day, April 29. See the Spring 2017 Recreater.
- Adventure Park USA, Easter Bunny Breakfast and Egg Hunt, April 15, Spring Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show, April 23. See website for details.
- Friday Funfest at Westview Promenade, First Fridays. Easter Bunny Photo Op, April 15.
- The Frederick County Library has many events for children… like Board Game Monday… American Girl events…Check out the FCPL website. There are lots of fun things to do in Frederick for children.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad, Bunny Train, April 8, 9 15.
- Children’s Festival in Baker Park, April 29. 10 am-3 pm. Free.
- Green Meadows Petting Farm, Ijamsville. Open Weekends. Easter Egg Hunt April 15.
- Spring Forward 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run @ Linganore Winecellars. Proceeds benefit AC Cugini’s Roma 00 and 01 Boys teams’ soccer trip to train in Italy. 7:30am-12pm.
- 3rd Annual Fast and Furriest, April 9, Monocacy Village Park. Proceeds go to Operation Paws for Homes.
- Mud Dog Run, Frey’s Brewing Company, April 22, benefits Habitat for Humanity.
- Glow for Home Golf Tournament, May 5, Holly Hills Golf Club, fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. 9-hole, par 3 glow in the dark golf tournament.
- Comedy Night, April 20 at The American Legion Francis Scott Key Post 11 at 1450 Taney Avenue in Frederick.
- See more non-profit events, or post your event at Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick County Chamber of Commerce’s Annual Golf Scramble,
Friday, April 21st Maryland National Golf Club7:45 a.m. check in; 9:00 a.m. shotgun start; 19th Hole Happy Hour; followed players lunch. Sponsors Deadline April 14.
Fee includes breakfast, free soft drinks on course, beer 7 cigars on the turn, happy hour appetizers, lunch, and 5 tickets for door prizes. How fun is this?! Find out more.
The Great Outdoors
- The Chamber of Commerce Annual Golf Scramble, Luck O’ the Links, April 21, 7:30 Breakfast, 9 am Shotgun Start, at West Winds Golf Club.
- Carillon Recital in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 – 1 pm. Year round.
- City of Frederick Parks & Recreation Spring and Summer 2017 Activities, William Talley Rec Center at Baker Park
- Frederick Keys Baseball, opening game: April 6. 7 pm.
- Fishing Rodeo, April 29, 9 am. 301-293-4170. Gambrill State Park.
- Catoctin Creek Nature Center Blog. Keep up with events.
- National Park Week – April 15 – April 23. Free entrance to National Parks on weekends April 15-16 and 22-23:.
- Every Saturday and Sunday – Taste Frederick Food Tours. A three-hour tour that combines food from downtown Restaurants and a bit of Frederick history, culture and architecture. See Taste Frederick Food Tours website for details.
- Fermenting Fun: Brewery Tours & Tastings in Frederick, April 8 and May 6
- Bluegrass, Brew and BBQ Festival, April 22, Red Shedman Farm Brewery, 13601 Glissans Mill Rd. Plus live music on weekends.
- Wine Tastings and Festivals: Elk Run, Linganore Wineries
Wednesday, April 5, 2017Cost: Free, pre-registration encouraged* The Frederick Indoor Sports Center • 1845 Brookfield Ct., Frederick, MD 21701 Join us on your lunch break to meet more than 40 local hiring employers and enjoy FREE PIZZA.
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!