There are lots of events to celebrate our lovely city in May 2015, and don’t forget MOM!
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for May’s First Saturday: Mayfest. Saturday, May 2, from 10 am to 9 pm. Build a bouquet of spring flowers as you explore the Historic District. Enjoy the gardens of museums:
- Balloons and Flowers
- Floral Art by local garden clubs
- Museum of Frederick County History opens their garden
- Live Music several places downtown
- Evangelical Lutheran Church Tour, 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Several Gallery Openings
Store specials, wine tastings, and herb and plant sales, much more… Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Independent Bookstore Day May 2nd. Curious Iguana, on Market Street, will have give-aways and special events. Registration required. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, starting May 14, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 16. 301-600-2844
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick Running Festival; Beer, Bacon & Music; Kids Closet Connection; The Farmer’s Market, more
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, May through October
- Civil War Talks at the Civil War Medicine Museum
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Open First Sunday of the month, May to August, 305 W. Main St, Middletown
- The Last Full Measure of Devotion, Flag Display, Monocacy Battlefield, May 23-25.
- Frederick Coin and Currency Show, May 23-24, Elks Lodge, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Civil War Reenactors @ Walkersville Southern Railroad, May 23. 34 W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville.
- Downtown Abby Garden Party, Frederick County Historical Society‘s Heritage Garden, May 31, 4:30 – 6:30, Dress in 1920’s costume. 24 E. Church Street.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Good People
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Maryland Regional Ballet presents “Sleeping Beauty”, St. Cecelia Youth Orchestra, Frederick Children’s Chorus, Mid-Maryland Performing Arts Center presents “Dance On”, YMCA presents Broadway Through the Ages, The Rock Tenor, Sonic Escape and more…
- “Fiddler on the Roof” playing at Way Off Broadway, “The Wizard of Oz” on the Children’s stage.
- Act Too! Theater Company – The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza
- The Ugly Duckling, Other Voices Theatre Production, May 2, 9, 16 – 17, 30.
Music & Arts in Frederick
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
Jah Works Reggae Concert, The Faux School, Saturday, May 30, 2015 • 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, free.
“Sounds of Spring” Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Frederick Community College. Also, Choral Arts Society Spring Concert, Wind Ensemble, and more.
- Frederick String Initiative Student Ensembles, ages 7-20 perform, Sat. May 17, 2:30 and May 23, 2 pm, C. Burr Artz Library.
- Concert Series @ Calvary United Methodist Church, 131 W. 2nd St. May 4th, 3 pm L’Arabesque Baroque
- Creative Outlet Drop-In Art Session, May 2, Delaplaine Arts Center
- Frederick County Public Library Programs
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 2- 3.
- Annual Herb Day Celebration, Fox Haven Farm, 3630 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson, May 3.
- Spring in the Village, Catoctin Furnace, May 9, Crafts, flowers, heirloom
- plants, herbs and spring & mothers day gifts for sale. 12607 Catoctin Furnace Road.
- Alpaca Shearing Days,Sugarloaf Alpacas, 1347 Buckeystown Pke, Adamstown
- Tails on Trails, May 9 Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. Register.
- Bark in the Park, May 9 at Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. 301-600-2936
- Frederick Celtic Festival, May 9, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 13 – 17, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 920 W. 7th Street
- Geocaching Meet and Greet, Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East St. May 22, 9:30
- Fort Ritchie 2nd Annual Bass Fishing Tournament, May 2, 7 am, Lake Royer
- Mt. Airy Mayfest, May 16 & 17, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds.
- Asian Heritage Month Celebration at Frederick Community College on May 30th from 11:00 pm- 4:00 pm.
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, Carroll Creek Park, May 30, 1–6 pm purchase tickets on the website.
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Locomotives on Display, May 2nd, also Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train, Jesse James Day is May 16.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest, May 2 through October, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- Julips & Jockeys, May 2, 4 pm to 8 pm. Benefits United Way.
- Affair of the Heart, Thurs. May 7, Benefits Heartly House. The program will include both silent and live auctions of artwork. All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
- 6th Annual Girls Celebrity Night Out, May 13th, 6 pm – 8 pm. Proceeds to Patty Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund.
- Dashing Emancipation: A Fashion Event, Proceeds go to Love 146 (Love146.com) actively fighting and bringing awareness to human trafficking. Sunday, May 29, 8 pm to 11 pm. The Faux School, Like them on Facebook.
- 15th Annual Forget-Me-Not Gala, May 2, 7 to 11 pm. “Dancing With the Stars, Black Tie event, proceeds go to the Altzheimer’s Association. Walkersville Social Hall, 79 W. Frederick St.
- Relay for Life of South Frederickovernight community fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 29- 30. Monocacy Valley Church, 9861 Old National Pk. Ijamsville, MD 21754
- Catoctin Civitan Covered Bridge 5 K Run, May 30.
- Festa Italiana Frederick, benefits Habitat for Humanity of Frederick County, Rose Hill Manor Park, May 30, 11 am – 8 pm.
- Starry Night at the Delaplaine, music, food, open bar, and a silent auction. May 30, 6:30 – 11:00 pm.
- Check 106.9 The Eagle Community Calendar for local events.
Dining Out in Frederick:
Frederick Beer Week – May 29 through June 6th -See Beer Week Activities
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Family Meal – 301-378-2895
- The Wine Kitchen – 301-663-6968
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Firestone’s – 301-663-0330
- Dutch’s Daughter – 301-668-9500
Memorial Day Celebrations
- Last Full Measure of Devotion – Monocacy Battlefield, May 24 – 26, 5201 Urbana Pike, 301-662-3515
- Parade & Ice Cream Social – Middletown Park, 7628 Coblentz Rd, 11 am – 2 pm.
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Cheese and Chocolate Tastings, live entertainment, more
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Wine in the Woods
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!
Turf Valley has their annual Preakness Balloon Festival.. It is May 14 Thursday Night 4 pm 2015