Celebrate January in Frederick Md
The holidays in Frederick Md are always magical. Now it’s time to recharge and get ready for a brand new year.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for January’s First Saturday (Jan. 6) is “Afterglow”, a time to relax after the Holidays. Takes place from 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Luminaries along Market Street
- Trolley Rides
- Wine Tastings
- Live Music
- Gallery Openings
- Store Specials
- More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
January Events in Frederick
The Arts in Frederick:
- Weinberg Performances for January, Frederick Speaker Series: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Saturday afternoon Cartoon Fest 2018, 1964: The Tribute, Steven Wright, Dr. Temple Grandin, Classic Albums Live – Led Zeppelin II, and more.
- January at Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Oh Grit! Improv, 2017 A Year in Review, Spring classes now forming, Coming in February: O, the Witch and the Magical Orb
- Way Off Broadway: Shrek the Musical, Coming: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Fredericktowne Players: Company, Comedy Pigs
- The Potters’ Guild of Frederick – Featured Artist Jenna Gianni, Jan. 3 – 31. Wine Down the Season Gallery Show, daily 11 am.
- Brian Ganz Pianist Concert, Calvary United Methodist Church, 131 W. Second St. Jan. 28, 3 pm.
History In Frederick
- Model Train Open House, every Sunday in January until Feb. 4. 423 E. Patrick St. 1 to 4 pm.
- Meet the Collections Manager at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, Jan. 13. 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
The Great Outdoors
- First Day Hike – Gambrill State Park, January 1, 4 to 5 PM
- First Day Hike – Cunningham Falls State Park, January 1, 11 am – 3 pm
- Carillon Recitals at Joseph Dill Baker Carillon in Baker Park, First Sundays until June 3, 12:30 to 1:00 pm.
For the Kids
- Ausherman Planetarium: Winterfest. Five great presentations.
- History Hour, the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St., has preschool History Hour programs, the first and third Tuesday of the month from 1 to 2 pm.
- Creative Outlet Drop-in art activities at the Delaplaine, Jan. 6.
New Year’s Celebrations
- Annual New Year’s Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31st. Midnight @ the Suspension bridge over Carroll Creek
- Family New Year’s Eve Celebration @ Adventure Park USA, 9 pm to 12:30.
- Hogmanay, Traditional Scottish New Year: Urbana Fire Department
- Many restaurants in Frederick have a special New Year’s Eve menu and entertainment.
- Freezin’ for a Reason, to benefit Frederick County Special Olympics, BEACON, and the Brunswick Food Bank Brunswick Area Recreation Council, Jan. 1st. Also, Scottish First Footing New Year’s Day Celebration.
- Polar Plunge Party at Lake Royer, Jan. 1. Cascade Md. 301.241.5085
- Practice for the Plunge: A Fundraiser for Special Olympics Maryland, Flying Dog Brewery, January 12, 5:30 – 7:30 pm.
- 15th Annual Polar Bear Plunge, Washington County Humane Society, Jan. 13, 12 noon to 1 pm. Greenbriar State Park. Also: Every Friday is Free Cat Friday – Fees are waved, Adopt a cat or kitten that has been spayed or neutered, chipped and vaccinated at no charge.
- Lab Rescue Adoption Day, Sunday Feb. 11, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm PetSmart, 5401 Urbana Pike, Frederick
- Check out the 106.9 Eagle Community Calendar for more non-profit events in the region.
Frederick Wine Trail Events
- Linganore Winecellars: 80’s Dance Party, Jan. 12, 2016 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm, DJ, dancing, With a focus on handmade crafts and beautiful artwork, tickets are limited. Also: Bridal Show – January 28, 1-3 pm.
- Elk Run Vineyards – The Basics of Wine Tasting Techniques, Jan. 14, 2 to 4 pm. and other events
- Loew Vinyards Wine Tasting, 3rd Saturdays until Oct. 20
Flying Dog Brewery’s “Higher Beer Education”: A first-of-its-kind beer education program at Flying Dog Brewery. Fermented Fun – Jan. 6.
Although many Farmers’ Markets close for the winter, The Frederick Fairgrounds Farmers’ Market is open every Saturday!
Here’s Something Cool!
The Intentional Entrepreneur Workshop, a free event from Frederick Community College, Wed. Jan. 25, 8 am – 12 noon. See Details.