My Super-Duper Guide to Summer Activities in Frederick County Md 2017
No kidding, there are hundreds of fun things to do…for the kids, the pets, and the folks, as well as the history buff, the sports fan and the bookworms. There are plenty of events and fun happenings to enjoy, whether you’re planning a “Staycation” or whether you’re keeping the kids occupied. Check out some summer fun in Frederick County for 2017:
Table of Contents:
The Great Outdoors
The Arts in Frederick
Continuing Education for Adults
Continued Learning for Children
Children’s Summer Camps
For Music Lovers
For Kids of All Ages
Downtown Frederick Events
The Great Outdoors
There are activities galore in and around Frederick at the many local, State and National parks. You can enjoy nature hikes, wildlife viewing, swimming, canoes, biking and discovery classes. There are camp grounds, trails and lots of learning events.
Town & City Parks:
City of Frederick Parks & Recreation, there are always events going on in our city parks and coordinated by the city parks and recreation department.
County Parks: Frederick County Parks & Recreation, ditto for the county parks and recreation.
- Gambrill State Park is well known for High Knob, three stone overlooks that offer stunning views of the Frederick and Middletown Valleys. The High Knob area also offers wooded picnic areas, picnic shelters, and a large stone lodge, called the Tea Room (reservations required).
- Gathland State Park, once the mountain home of George Alfred Townsend, a Civil War journalist. There are two Civil War museums on site.
- Greenbriar State Park has a 42-acre man-made lake, with swimming, canoeing, hiking, picnicking, fishing and hunting. There is a connector trail to The Appalachian Trail.
- Cunningham Falls State Park & Hunting Creek Lake, with swimming and non-motored boating, fishing, hiking and canoeing. Campsites and camper cabins for rental from April to October.
- South Mountain Recreation Area, for avid hikers, South Mountain features several scenic vistas, including High Rock, Black Rock, Annapolis Rock, White Rock and Weverton Cliffs.
- Washington Monument State Park, at the top of South Mountain, the site of the first monument dedicated to George Washington. Most of the hiking trails are part of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
- The Appalachian National Scenic Trail, a 2,180+ mile long public footpath, with several miles running through the state parks above.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, commemorating the battle that saved Washington D.C.
- Catoctin Mountain Park, hiking, camping, special programs and events.
- C&O Canal National Park, public boat rides, visitor center, camping, hiking and biking trails and special events.
- C&O Bicycle Guide has a map and suggested sites. C&O Canal Towpath has news and resources.
In and Around Frederick:
- Frederick Bicycle Loop, a self-guided tour through the City of Frederick, download the brochure.
- Rafting, Tubing and Kayaking: River & Trail Outfitters, River Riders Inc., Harpers Ferry Adventure Center,
- Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo, open 9-5 daily through May, and 9-6 all summer.
- The Frederick Tourism Events Page has a chronological list of events throughout the county.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Center: Classes & Exhibits
- Easels in Frederick, June 13-18, in Frederick, Plein Air Event, Plein Air artists will be painting throughout Frederick, their works will be on sale afterward at the Easels in Frederick Grand Exibition, June is for Art Lovers!
- Barnstormers Tour 2015, June 10, 10 am to 4 pm. A tour of several barns of Frederick and surrounding area, observe painters at tour locations, followed by an art show and sale, with food and entertainment, afterward at a host farm. Details at Frederick County Landmarks website.
- Many local galleries have fresh new exhibits throughout the summer.
Continuing Education for Adults
Continuing education and personal enrichment classes @ Frederick Community College
Frederick County Recreation Classes, Sports, fitness and nutrition, cooking classes, and more for adults. You can see all events, locations and fees and information…and get discount tickets to area amusement parks through the Recreator.
City of Frederick Recreation Classes, classes, hobbies, sports and more for adults.
Continuing Learning for Children
Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center, art classes and camps for children.
City of Frederick Recreation, information on pools, swimming lessons, day camps, sports, classes and more.
Earth & Space Science Lab, 210 Madison St.
- Planetarium Shows
- Summer Camps
- YMCA Summer Camps
- FCC Kids on Campus, Camps for kids age 4 to 15.
- The Kitchen Studio, Camps are available for kids, ages 8-17, at various times throughout the summer.
- 24-7 Dance Studio Summer Classes
- Skate Frederick Learn to Skate Summer Camp, Hockey Summer Camp
- Frederick 4H Camp
- Frederick Indoor Sports, Summer Camps with professional athletes
- The Banner School Summer Camp, preschool through grade 8
- Bar-T Summer Camp, K through 8th grade.
- Frederick Regional Youth Orchestra Summer Music Camp
- Act 2 summer Theatre Summer Productions
- Rose Hill Manor Children’s Museum, Civil War Living History Day, Thrashing Days, World War II Weekend.
- Mar-Lu-Ridge Camp & Retreat Center, beautiful setting in the Catoctin Mountains.
- Skycroft Adventure Camp, camps for children, teens, adults and families
- MET Summer Fun Camp, 2017 Fun Camp
- Adventure Park USA Summer Camps, Family Fun Fridays
- School of Rock Music Day Camp
- Luna Aerial Dance and Performing Arts. Introduction to Pole, Beginner Aerial, Beginner Trapeze and Lyra. For adults too!
- Keys Baseball, Keep up with events on the Keys Facebook Page
- Frederick Soccer Club Summer Camp
- Frederick Gymnastics Club Summer Schedule
- Frederick County Basketball Camps
- Hood College Summer sports and Swimming Lessons
- Tennis Courts in Frederick
- Frederick Sports Leagues Listings on Frederick.com
- Youth Baseball: Frederick American Little League, East Frederick Little League, Frederick Challenger Little League,Urbana Baseball & Softball, LOUYAA Linganore, Oakdale and Urbana, Brunswick Little League & Softball, Mountain Valley Baseball Middletown, Myersville, and Wolfesville, Glade Valley Baseball Walkersville
- Frederick Youth Soccer League
- Frederick Md Golf Courses
- Golf Frederick Leagues and lessons
- Skate Frederick, public skating, lessons, camps, ice hockey, figure skating
- Potomac Valley Youth Association (Brunswick) Soccer camp, golf program, summer swimming
- Local Recreation Councils:
- Urbana Recreation Council, serves Urbana, Ijamsville and surrounding area. Youth programs for baseball, basketball, cheer, cub scouts, field hockey, football, lacrosse, poms, softball, and wrestling.
- Middletown Recreation Council, activities for all ages, all seasons
- Libertytown Recreation Council, summer baseball, winter basketball
- Woodsboro/New Midway Recreation Council
Community Swimming Pools: open from Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Baker Park Pool, 301-663-5666,
- Diggs Memorial Pool, 301-600-6364,
- Hood College Pool, 301-696-3484,
- Brunswick Pool – 301-834-7567,
Emmitsburg Pool, 301-447-9820Will not be open this summer 🙁
Summer Flea Markets
- Feagaville Flea Market (301) 473-7603, every Friday and Saturday, Rt. 180
- Harpers Ferry Gypsy Market, 154 Wolfcraft Way, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Flea Markets and Swap Meets Across America
- Yard Sale & Garage Sale Search This is a nice site to find out about local yard sales and to post your own yard sale or garage sale.
- Independence Day Celebrations: July 4th in Frederick, July 3rd in Brunswick, July 1st in Middletown, Mt. Airy July 3rd, Emmitsburg Community Heritage Day June 24th, Preservation Maryland has a list of Independence Day Celebrations throughout the state.
- Research Your Family Roots @ The Historical Society of Frederick County
- MD Scenic Byways Map OR get a copy @ The Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East Street
- Civil War Medicine Museum, various lectures and presentations
- Frederick Tourism – Group Tours, Murder & Mayhem & Weekend Walking Tours
- Historical Society of Frederick County – Walking Tours of Historic Frederick, Civil War Walking Tours, Art & Architecture Walking Tours, Black History Walking Tours, Drunk & Disorderly
- Monocacy National Battlefield, 153rd Battle of Monocacy Commemoration, Guided Kayak Trip
- Brunswick Railroad Museum
- Maryland Civil War Trails, biking trails, and lots of scenic trips throughout Maryland
- Harpers Ferry, Living History Weekends, Historic Trades Workshops, Cultural and Natural Resources programs
- Gettysburg National Battlefield, they have a full schedule of summer programs
- Covered Bridges of Frederick County Driving Tour, Bring Your Camera!
- Historic Architectural Houses of Frederick, call to schedule tours
- National Register of Historic Places, Frederick County Locations
- 11th Annual Barnstormers Tour, throughout Frederick County
- Schifferstadt French and Indian War Encampment Frontier Day
Theatre in Frederick
Way Off Broadway Children’s Theatre Saturday and 2nd and 4th Sunday performances.
Summerfest Family Theater in Baker Park, 10 am on Thursdays
Annual Frederick Film Festival, at the Weinberg June 23-25
Starlight Family Film Festival, from FCPL, at the Natelli Community Center in Urbana,
Frederick Music Lovers
Spring Catoctin Mountain Music & Dance Weekend, June 16 – 18
Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Celebrating 20 years. FORBIDDEN LOVE – Saturday June 17, 2017
Alive @ Five @ Carroll Creek Amphitheater, Thursdays, 5 – 8 pm.
Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, May 27 through August 26.
For Frederick Foodies
South Mountain Creamery, if you need an excuse to go get some ice cream, June is National Dairy Month. It’s a patriotic thing to do!
Farmer’s Market at the Frederick Fairgrounds on Saturdays
Minolea Organic Farm Market – Adamstown
England Acres Farm – Mt. Airy
The Kitchen Studio Cooking School has cooking lessons for both children AND Adults!
The Frederick Wine Trail
Maryland Wine Trail, local wineries have music, festivals, tastings, and many other events during the summer.
- Summer Festivals, live music and events at Local Vineyards: Elk Run, Linganore Winery, Catoctin Breeze Vineyard
For Kids of All Ages
- Walkersville Southern Railroad, Jesse James Day, Civil War Reenactors, Fathers Day Special, Star-Spangled Fireworks Special, Super Hero Picnic, Teddy Bear Picnic, and more.
- Children’s History Hour, for preschoolers, 1st and 3d Tuesday each month. Frederick County History Museum, 24 E. Church St.
- The EventPlex @ Frederick Fairgrounds, lots of fun events this summer, Mexican Rodeo, Cirque Italia, Peruvian and Latin Festival, Western Maryland Reptile Show and more.
- Adventure Park USA, Family Fun Fridays, Super Saturdays
- Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo, host an event, book a group
- Deer Crossing Rec Center 301-865-1769
- Fountain Rock Rec Center 301-898-1460
- Frederick City Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Middletown Rec Center 240-566-0222
- Oakdale Rec Center 301-600-1359
- Tuscarora Rec Center 240-566-0025
- Rose Hill Manor Children’s Museum 301-600-1646
- FCPL Summer Featured Programs
- Storyland Storytime
- Babies with Books
- Summer Challenge
- Discover Space
- Music and Movies
- STEM program
- Visits from Children’s Book Characters
- Music on the Deck
- Demonstrations and Learning events
- and hundreds of more activities
Downtown Frederick Events
See the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website:
- Alive @ Five – Happy Hour with live music, local food and drink, adults only. Carroll Creek Park Amphitheater, Thursdays, from 5 to 8 pm.
- Candlelight Ghost Tours – Frederick Walking Tour
- Guided Walking Tours
- Free Movie Night on the Creek, Carroll Creek Amphitheater, June 16 – E.T.; July 21 – Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl; August 18 – Shrek; Sept. 15 – 10 things I Hate About You; Oct. 20 – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
First Saturdays in Historic District Frederick:
- June – I Art Frederick
- July – Stars & Stripes
- August – Art Attack!
- September — Get it Downtown
In the Street, Sept. 9, a Festival held in the streets of downtown Frederick every year.
Comments Welcome! If I’ve missed any events or activities you know about… please share!