May is here in Frederick Md, complete with flowers and beautiful weather. And the many activities around here are an apt way to celebrate this wonderful time of year.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for May’s First Saturday: May Fest. Build a bouquet of spring flowers as you shop.
- Children’s Activities like face painting and sidewalk chalk art contest
- Live Music several places downtown, like The Knight Borthers, David Andrew Smith, and Flower Hill String Band, as well as five other groups
- Free Trolley Rides
- Camaro Nationals Preview on Patrick Street
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- After hours Cinco de May Dance, a fundraiser for Downtown Frederick Partnership. It takes place at the Eagle’s Lodge.
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Five Alive Happy Hour opens again for the summer months: May 10th at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. May through August, Alive @ Five is held the second, third and fourth Thursday of each month, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 19 and 20. 301-600-2489 UPDATE: Due to potential for disruption, heavy traffic and limited parking as a result of the G-8 Summit scheduled for Friday, May 18 and Saturday, May 19 at Camp David, Celebrate Frederick has opted to CANCEL the tour on Saturday, May 19 and it will take place ONLY on Sunday, May 20 with extended hours from 11 AM to 6 PM. Contact 301-600-CITY with any questions.
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – May 5th, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Track Car Days, May 5th. Saturday Excursions, 201-898-0899
- Washington Monument State Park has several events this month.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: The Grand Ole Hee Haw Hoottenanny Hoe Down Jamboree, The Comedy Pigs, Heidi
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Maryland Regional Ballet presents Cinderella, Imagination Movers, A Lasting Legacy , and more…
- “Rent” playing at Way Off Broadway, a production of the Cultural Arts Center, May 24, 25, 26th.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Johan Lowie (paintings), Dave Moreland (Art History as Muse), Catherine Hillis (watercolors), Johathan Gemmel (sculpture and paintings), The Gardiner Gallery.
- “Artworks” exhibit, Percussion Ensemble Concert, Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Recital, String Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, much more, Frederick Community College.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Sunset-Full Moon Kayak and Canoe Paddle, May 5th, River & Trail Outfitters, 301-695-5177
- The Great Frederick Md Flea Market @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 5th.
- Frederick Wine Trail Spring Activities
- Bark in the Park, May 12 at Utica Distirct Park, 301-600-2936
- Maryland Celtic Festival, May 12, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-695-3391
- The 20th Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 17 – 20, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church
- Puppypalooza, May 19 & 20, Lilypons Water Gardens, 800-999-5459
- International Learn to Fly Day at Frederick Airport, May 19, 301-695-2000
- 150th Anniversary of The Great Frederick Fair, Re-enactment, May 19 & 20, Frederick Fairgrounds
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Pow-Wow American Indian Show, Frederick Fair Gounds, May 18 – 20
- Acrobats of Cirque-Tacular, May 19, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300
- Free Children’s Fly Fishing Workshop, May 19, Fountain Rock Park, 301-898-1460
- Several Non-Profits will be participating in The Great Frederick Flea Market on May 5th
- Community Day @ FSK Mall – May 12,10am-4pm, Center Court – Meet representatives from non-profit organizations from throughout the region.
- Frederick Community Calendar – Non- Profit Events in May
Dining Out in Frederick:
Frederick Beer Week – May 12 through 19th –See Beer Week Activities
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920’s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Qyunn’s Attic – 301-695-9656
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
Memorial Day Celebrations in Frederick
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!