May brings flowers and warmer weather to Frederick Md, and Mayfest along with many other things to do.
First Saturday in the Historic District
- Children’s Activities like face painting and sidewalk chalk art contest
- Live Music several places downtown, like Twin Radio @30 Market Street, as well as other live music
- Free Trolley Rides
- Several Gallery Openings
- Beer Garden, 1 to 5 pm, 52 S. Market St.
Car show, TJ Drumline, arts & crafts and a lot more. Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 18 and 19. 301-600-2844
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Historic Tea Sets on Display, 305 W. Main St, Middletown
- Washington Monument State Park grand opening of new museum exhibits.
- Trades Fair @ Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, 1110 Rosemont Ave., May 18.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: My Monster & Me, Pickle My Monkey
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Maryland Regional Ballet presents “Sleeping Beauty”, St. Cecelia Youth ORchestra (free), Frederick Children’s Chorus, Mid-Maryland Performing Arts Center presents “Moving Forward”, and more…
- “9 to 5, the Musical” playing at Way Off Broadway, “Cinderella”
- Act Too! Theater Company – Totally Red!,
- Charlotte’s Web, a musical, Performing Arts Factory, 244 S. Jefferson St.
Music & Arts in Frederick
- Public Art Walking Tour, May 21, a guided tour of Public Art in downtown Frederick by staff of the Tourism Council. 6 – 8 pm. free, but advanced registration is required. 301-600-4047
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
- Art & Music at Cowork Frederick, May 4, 122 E. Patrick St. “Art of Words: Illustrated Writings” by Beth Mende Conny.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra Concert, “Ode to Joy” May 4 and 5. International Community Church,
- String Ensemble Concert, Wind Ensemble, much more, Frederick Community College.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Cinco de Mayo, May 5, Square Corner Park in Brunswick
- Sunset/Full Moon Float, May 25th, River & Trail Outfitters, 301-695-5177 (also June 22, July 20, Aug. 17, 25 and Sept. 14)
- …And Antietam Kayak & Brunch, May 26, June 16, July 7, Aug 18, Sept. 22.
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 4- 5th.
- Catoctin Forest Day of Service, May 11, 301-663-9388
- Bark in the Park, May 11 at Utica District Park, 301-600-2936
- Maryland Celtic Festival, May 11, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 16 – 19, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church
- Fort Ritchie 2nd Annual Bass Fishing Tournament, May 11, June 22, Lake Royer
- Mt. Airy Mayfest, May 18 & 19, Historic Downtown Mt. Airy.
- Puppypalooza, Lilypons Water Gardens, May 18-19
- Festa Italiana, at Crumland Farms, May 25
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train
- Fishing Rodeo, Lake Royer Lodge, May 18.
- Breakfast with Dora & Diego and Animal Rescue Day, May 11, Adventure Park USA also… Youth Ministry Night, May 3rd, 6 to 9 pm.
- First Friday Fun Fest, April – August, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300, and… Summer Reading Family Festival, May 11, 11 to 1 pm.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- High Tea Lunch and Fashion show, proceeds go to Big Brothers Big Sisters, Sunday, May 5, 12 PM – 4 PM, Purchase tickets at Aspire in Everedy Square.
- Marilyn Monroe Fundraiser, Weinberg Center, May 8, 6 pm. Proceeds to Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund at FMH
- Relay for Life, fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 17 – 18.
- Western Md Kidney Walk, May 19, Boonsboro, Md
- Community Day @ FSK Mall – May 11, 10am-4pm, Center Court – Meet representatives from non-profit organizations from throughout the region.
- Frederick Community Calendar – Non- Profit Events in May
Dining Out in Frederick:
Frederick Beer Week – May 11 through 18th –See Beer Week Activities
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Qyunn’s Attic – 301-695-9656
- Silver Maple – 301-371-3125
Brunswick Volunteer Fire Company You are cordially invited to join us on Sunday, May 12th, 2013 for Mothers Day Brunch from 11:30am-2:30pm. 5, 1500 Volunteer Way, Brunswick, MD 21716, 301-834-8300, Contact Terry Pryor 240-529-7440
We will be serving scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cheesy grit casserole, sausage gravy, biscuits, potatoes, roast pork, green beans, stuffed shells, cold pasta salad, fruit salad, crescent rolls, a variety of sweet breads, tea, coffee, orange juice and milk. Adults $15, Children 4-8 $10, Children under 3 eat free
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Cheese and Chocolate Tastings
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Sipping Saturdays and Sundays, Mother’s Day weekend Tomato plant sale
Memorial Day Celebrations in Frederick
- Monocacy Battlefield Memorial Flag Display
- Memorial Day Parade and Ice Cream Social, Middletown Park, May 25
- The Pignic BBQ Competition & Arts Festival, Ft. Ritchie
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!