With snow falling before November in Frederick Md, we can surely say Indian Summer is officially over. Oh, but it’s so much easier to lend our minds to the Christmas Holiday! November is a busy month with lots of opportunities to check things off your Christmas list.
First Saturday in the Historic District
This coming Saturday is themed “Holiday Open House”, eat, drink and shop downtown. Saturday, November 5th, features an evening of carriage rides, (departing from 20 N. East Street) food & wine tastings, exhibit openings, guest artists and live entertainment (9 different groups). More than 80 shops, galleries and restaurants will be open until 9pm or later. There will be free trolley rides from 4 to 8:30. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Show
The Frederick Maryland Christmas Show will be at the Frederick Fairgrounds on W. Patrick Street, November 18–20, and 25-27, 2011. Friday & Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Sunday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. The Maryland Christmas Show is a huge holiday craft show with seven buildings and big top tents., with a Holiday Foods Pavilion and the work of 500 artists and craftsmen.
Frosty Friday in Downtown Frederick
Live entertainment, hot chocolate, and Frosty the Snowman to liven up Christmas shopping in the Historic District.
Artomatic is open until Saturday, November 5th. Artomatic@Frederick is located in the old Frederick County School Board offices at 115 E. Church Street.
Candlelight Ghost Tours
Candlelight Ghost Tours are available every weekend in November.
Frederick Non-Profit Fundraisers
- Neighborhood Toy Store Day – From 10 am to 9 pm Dancing Bear Toys & Gifts, on Market Street in downtown Frederick is supporting 6 non-profits in Frederick, by giving customers $1 for every $10 spent for the donation jar of their choice. From 1 to 3 p.m., meet Little J, a seven-year-old ‘kidpreneur’ with her own line of handcrafted soaps.
- Festival of Greens – Wreaths for sale and silent auction to Benefit the Arts in Frederick County.
- Holiday Bazaar & Veterans Day Event at 5102 Old National Pike, Frederick, Md, from 3 to 7 pm. Celebrate members of the Armed Forces, craft show, food vendors and business expos. A project from Main Street Chamber and Grace Community Church. See Details.
- “On the Wings of Love Gala”, Mission of Mercy Fundraiser in Baltimore, Md. Saturday, Nov. 12, 6 pm until Midnight. Black-tie optional event with live and silent auction as well as live music. Contact Terri Sullivan, Gala Chairperson, at 301-367-8200, or email gala@aMiddionofMercy.org.
Frederick Theater & Music
- Sad Grizzley Theater Company presents “Beckett and Lynch: A Celebration” an original comedy at the Cultural Arts Center at 15 E. Patrick St. November 5th at 9 pm.
- Weinberg presentations: 1964: The Tribute, Nov. 5th. Neil Berg presents 102 Years of Broadway Nov. 13, 3 pm. In the Mood – 1940’s Big Band Song & Swing Dance Review, Nov. 19, 7:30,
- American Buffalo – Oct. 27 – Nov 20. The MET,31 W. Patrick St. + The Comedy Pigs late night at 10:30 November 5th, 12th. Commedia Pinocchio, Nov. 26 & 27.
- Motzart’s “The Magic Flute” in Brodbeck Music Hall at Hood College. November 4 – 6, Friday, at 7 pm, Sat. and Sun. at 3 pm. See website for details. + several other fall concerts.
- Improv at the Cultural Arts Center, 15 W. Patrick St. November 5, 8 pm show. Details on the website or call 301-662-4190. The Tempest, performed by Riotous Youth, Nov. 18 – 19.
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- A Night at the Brunswick Railroad Museum. Nov. 4 and 5th, 8 pm both nights, hear ghostly tales in candlelit halls of the museum with volunteers in period costume. Details at Brunswick Railroad Museum website.
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – Christmas Light Show at Adventure Park USA, from Nov. 18 – Jan. 8. 301-865-6800
- Tree Lighting Ceremony at Westview Promenade, Nov. 19, 5 – 8 pm. Storybook characters to pose with children, music, hot cocoa and its free.
- Handel’s “Messiah” – Annual performancde at Coffman Chapel, Hood College, Nov. 19 & 20th, Sat. 7:30 pm, Sun. 3 pm.
- Santa Arrives at 7 pm sharp in a horse-drawn carriage at Everedy Square and Shab Row.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Santa Trains, 11am, 1pm, 3pm Reservations required, 301-898-0899
- Thurmont Christmas Tree Lighting, 6:30 to 7 pm, Nov. 26, Mechanicstown Park on the Square.
Veterans Day Celebrations
- 79th Annual Brunswick Veterans Parade, Nov. 6, Parade begins at 2 pm, opening ceremony at 1 pm. Square Corner Park, Downtown Brunswick
- A Day of Remembrance, Seton Shrine, Mt. St. Mary’s Unviversity. 11:30 am with Mass at 1:30.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. If I missed anything, be sure to leave word in the comments, or email me, I’m happy to post your event. Times and dates are not guaranteed.