Fall is coming…eventually… But regardless of the heat, there are some fun activities in Frederick in October! Check them out:
Spooky Fun in October
It’s the favorite month for kids of all ages including lots of fun things to do: Trick or Treat, Pumpkin patches, corn mazes and many super fun events.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for October’s First Saturday: Spirits of The Season. There will be events for the whole family throughout downtown Frederick to celebrate the coming of Fall. Oct. 7th, 5 to 9 pm.
- For the Kids, Pumpkin painting & Arts & Crafts
- Farmers Market Festival
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Spiced Cider
- Gallery Openings, Artists painting
- Trolley rides. The First Saturday trolley runs every 15 minutes from 3pm – 9pm and has five stops.
Sky Stage is open through October in Downtown Frederick, 59 S. Carroll Street. Read the story on the Sky Stage Website. Don’t miss comedy night, October 6 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM
Halloween in Downtown Frederick – October 28. 10 am to 12 pm.
Movie Night on the Creek – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Fri. Oct. 2, 7 pm to 9:45 pm.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: 1984, The Dinosaur Play, Comedy Pigs
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: 72-Hour Film Fest, Dragons Love Tacos, Super Scientific Circus, Bailin, Darlene Love, Red Green – I’m Not Old, I’m Ripe Tour, Champions of Magic, Flip FabriQue: Catch Me!, Steven Curtis Chapman, and more.
- Way Off Broadway, Sister Act. Coming: Christmas Cottage, A Children’s Theatre Christmas Carol.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop In Art Sessions for Children, First Saturday, 3-5 pm.
- Spires Brass Band: Sacred and Secular, The Frederick Symphony Orchestra: Moscow on the Monocacy, Tuesday Lunchtime Recital. FCC Kussmaul Theater
- Community Concert Series, Sunday, October 8, 2017, District 5 Quintet, Calvary United Methodist Church
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Monthly Carillon Recital at Baker park on the first & third Sunday of the month, at 12:30
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Saturday Excursions 11 am and 2 pm. A Dinner Train, Ghost Trains.
- Mt. Airy Fall Festival, Oct. 7th, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 10 am to 5 pm.
- Oktoberfest, Sept. 29 – Oct. @Frederick Fairgrounds
- Brunswick Railroad Days, Oct. 7 – 8, Downtown Brunswick
- Rose Hill Manor Park Fall Festival, Oct. 7-8, Crafts, farm exhibits and more.
- Fallfest at Catoctin Furnace, Oct. 13 – 14, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd.
- Catoctin Colorfest, Oct. 13 & 14th, Thurmont Community Park
- Oktoberfest at Shifferstadt, Oct. 21 – 22
- Myersville Harvest Festival, Oct. 21st.
- Fort Ritchie Community Fall Craft Bazaar, Oct. 14th, Fort Ritchie Community Center, 14421 Lake Royer Drive, Cascade Md
- 13th Annual Urbana Indoor Art & Craft Show, Oct. 28, Urbana Fire Hall
- Frederick Wineries have many outdoor Fall events! Check out Linganore Winecellars, Elk Run Vineyards, Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard
- The Birthing Circle is pleased to announce that its annual Birth & Babies Fair will be taking place on Sunday, October 1, 2017 from 12pm-5pm at the Carroll Creek Park in downtown Frederick. This FREE event brings together more than 60+ local pregnancy, birth, & family providers for parents to get the support they need during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period.
- Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes, Oct. 8, Baker Park.
- Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk, Oct. 7, Baker Park, 2017 Pink Ribbon Fit Fest, Oct. 14, Pink Ribbon Gala, Oct. 21…October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Mud Dog Run – Zombie Edition 2016, Oct. 28, Crumland Farms 5K – Raising funds for Veterans suffering from PTSD, => 22 Needs A Face.
- Third Annual Faith House Fundraising Dinner, Wednesday, October 25, 6:00 p.m. Making All Things New.
Career Fair – Wednesday, October 4, 11 am – 2 pm. at the Frederick Indoor Sports Center, 1845 Brookfield Ct. Frederick, 21701. For more information: WorkFrederick.com
For History Buffs:
- Spirited History at McClintock Distillery, Oct. 18, 6 to 9 pm.
- Murder and Mayhem Tours, Civil War Walking Tours, African American History Walking Tours…Museum of Frederick County History.
- Candlelight Cemetery Tours, downtown Frederick.
- Oktoberfest At Schifferstadt, Oct. 21 & 22.
- Battlefield Hikes at Monocacy Battlefield, Oct. 21
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmers Markets are open throughout October.
- I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
Autumn Pumpkins & Corn Mazes
- Summers Farm , 5614 Butterfly Lane, Frederick, Pumpkin Patch and Fall Fun
- Scarecrow Decorating Contest, downtown Middletown, Oct. 21. Also: Middletown Halloween Parade, Color Me Autumn Festival, Oct. 21, 10 AM to 5 PM
- The Great Pumpkin Patch, Oct. 14-15, 12406 Old National Pike District Park, Mt. Airy
- Gaver Farm Fall Festival, Sept. 8th through November 5th.
- Crumland Farm, Sept. 26 – Nov. 1 Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch, Double Bubble Fun Run, The Great Pumpkin Race, North on Route 15, Mile Marker 17. Willow Road. Including:
- Screamland Farms, Fridays & Saturdays Sept. 30 – Nov. 5. 7 – 10 pm.
- Jumbo’s Pumpkin Patch, Sept. 23 – Oct. 31. 6521 Holter Road, Middletown, Md
- Winterbrook Farms, Sept. 23 – Nov. 5, 13001 Creagerstown Road, Thurmont, Md. Corn mazes, apple cannon, pumpkin patch and more.
- Brookfield Pumpkins, 8302 Ramsburg Road, Thurmont, Md, Sept. 23 – Oct. 31. Corn maze, pumpkin patch, kid-friendly
- Mayne’s Tree Farm & Farmer’s Market ,3420 Buckeystown
- Green Meadows Farm, Urbana Md
- Annual Halloween in Baker Park, Oct. 20.
- Not-S0-Scary Family Halloween Party, Adventure Park USA, Oct. 28, 6 – 9 pm.
- Halloween Trick or Treat, Westview Promenade, Oct. 28
- Halloween Trick or Treat in Downtown Frederick, Oct. 28, 10 am to 12 noon.
- Trick or Treat through History, Oct. 27, Rose Hill Manor Park, 6:30 – 8:30 pm.
- Halloween Costume Party at FSK Mall, Saturday, October 28, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Planetarium Shows, Earth and Space Science Lab. 240-236,2694, Mysteries of the Unseen World, Dinosaurs Alive.
♥ Enjoy October Fun in Frederick!