Dog Days of Summer – September Fun in Frederick Md
It’s time to celebrate our fur-friends in Frederick Md!
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for September’s First Saturday: Dog Days of Summer. The dog-lover’s event is this weekend, September 3rd.
- Dog Costume Contest, info and sign-up online, register from 3:00 to 4:30 @ Paws in the City, judging from 3 pm to 6 pm. Judging stations throughout downtown.
- Live Music several places downtown
- Dog-themed contests, prizes and merchandise.
- Children’s Activities,
- Yappy Hour Beer Garden from 4 to 8 pm at the Creek, Dog Parade 6 to 7 pm.
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Five Alive The last Happy Hour events for the summer months at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Thursday, Sept. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; 5 to 8 pm. Admission is $5, 21+ ONLY.
- Movie Night on the Creek: Back to the Future, Sept. 16
In the Street
Downtown Frederick, 11 am-5 pm, Sept. 10th. See details at Celebrate Frederick
Market Street Mile, the morning of In the Street, benefits the free after-school running club at Lincoln Elementary School. 8:45 to 10 am.
Up The Creek Party, 5 pm to 9 pm, Carroll Creek Amphitheatre. Live Music and drinks, must be 21+. One time $5.00 cover gets you into both Beer Gardens AND the Up the Creek Party.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Bad Jews, Bunnicula, Comedy Pigs. The Ensemble School has Fall classes, starting Sept.
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Midtown Men, Paula Poundstone, Russian Grand Ballet: Swan Lake. The season starts Oct.
- Way Off Broadway, Monty Python’s Spamalot, Disney’s 101 Dalmations, coming soon: Into the Woods
- Fredericktown Players, Babes in Arms
The Arts in Frederick
- Art at the Point Sept. 24, Annual Juried Arts Festival, Community Commons Park, Point of Rocks. 10 am to 5 pm.
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages. Saturday Sept. 3, 3-5 pm.
- Calvary’s Community Concert Series, starting Oct, Calvary United Methodist Church. Free
- Hood College Showcase Concert, Sept. 25.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Thurmont & Emmitsburg Community Fair, Friday through Sunday, Sept. 9-11, Catoctin High School
- Saints Peter and Paul Greek Festival, Friday through Sunday, Sept. 8-11. 920 W. 7th Street in Frederick.
- The Great Frederick Fair, Sept. 16 – 24.
- Middletown Heritage Festival Days, Sept. 24.
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour first and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Saturday Excursions 11 am and 2 pm., Jesse James Day, Sept. 10. Civil War Re-enactors.
- First Friday Fun Fest, Westview Promenade.
- Children’s events at Rose Hill Manor Park and Museum, Family Fun Day Sept. 4.
- Barnyard Bash @ Green Meadows Petting Farm, Sept. 17-18. 10102 Fingerboard Rd, Ijamsville.
- The Roald Dahl Splendiferous Showdown- Bus Tour, Sept. 17, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center. Free
- Movie Night at Frederick Airport, Sept. 24, the comedy movie “Up”. 6 pm.
- Frederick County Public Library Events
- Sam Wong Salon and Artisinal Hair Co. join together for Trim Hunger Cut-A-Thon. Sept. 25, 1 pm to 5 pm. Live Music too. See the Facebook Event for Details!
- Cowork Frederick Birthday Bash. Sept. 7. 5:30 to 8:30. Celebrating 4 years, benefits SHIP of Frederick County, Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership. 122 East Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701
- Grand National People Chase, Sept. 5, Loch Moy Farm, benefits Retired Racehorse Project. Sept. 11 Dressage. more on the website.
- Funds for Causes, an online community fundraising site, shows current and upcoming fundraising events in the Frederick area.
- Grand Fondo National Championship, Sept. 18, 7:30 AM. Raises funds for SHIP of Frederick County.
- Fundly, another online site to raise funds for Families and Kids in the Frederick area.
- City Club Social Series – A View from the Top, Oct. 2nd, proceeds go to Downtown Frederick Partnership
- Grand Opening of Heavy Metal Playground. Sept. 16 – 18. “Heavy Metal Playground offers a unique, once in a lifetime, bucket list experience to drive and play on big equipment” September events support the Frederick County Relay for Life and our October/November events support Sophie and Madigan’s Playground!
For History Buffs:
- Storytelling Workshop, Sept. 15 National Museum of Civil War Medicine. also Frederick’s Civil War Series.
- History Walking Tours, Roger Brook Taney House.
- Monocacy Battlefield Living History presentations
- Family Fun-Day Sunday, Sept. 4 Children’s Museum of Rose Hill Manor Park
- Civil War Walking Tour – Sat. Sept. 3, 11 am, Museum of Frederick County History
For Frederick Foodies:
Did you see this? Frederick tops the list of The 10 Most Underrated Craft Beer Cities. Ya got that right!
- Thurmont Flea and Farmer’s Market still open on Saturdays. Thurmont Carnival Grounds
- South Mountain Creamery Tours – 8305 Bolivar Rd. Middletown, MD 21769
- I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
Let the Fall Festivals Begin!
- Gaver Farm Pumpkin Patch, Sept. 9 – October
- Lawyer’s Corn Maze & Fall Festival, Opens Sept. 24
- Summers Farm Annual Great Pumpkin Race, opens Sept. 24
- Green Meadows Farm Barnyard Bash, 2 days, Sept. 17-18. Opens Oct. 5th.
- Crumland Farms Screamland Farms, Double Bubble Fun Run, The Great Pumpkin Run, Zombie Paintball
The Great Frederick Fair
September 16-24, The 15rd Great Frederick Fair! “Barn in the USA”
Enjoy the Fall♥ in Frederick!