Spring in Frederick Md – April 2016
Welcome Spring! There are many fun events this month to celebrate the beauty of Spring in Frederick County.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for April’s First Saturday: Gong Green in Frederick. The events throughout Downtown Frederick celebrate sustainability on Saturday, April 2nd, from 3 pm to 9 pm. Events are sponsored by Solar City:
- A community shred from 3-7 pm at ReStore, 622 N. Market Street
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Mini Electric Car show at Shab Row and Everedy Square
- Special sales throughout downtown, and more
Find a lot more details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website. Remember: Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays… parking is only $1 in the parking garages downtown.
Bring A Broom Saturday, spring cleaning in downtown Frederick, April 30, 8:30 am to 11:30 am.
Job Fair in Frederick
Job Fair, Wednesday, April 6 from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Frederick News-Post building complex, located at 351 Ballenger Center Drive in Frederick, MD 21703.
The Arts in Frederick
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, “Symphonic Scotland”, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. in the Jack B. Kussmaul Theater. The musicians, including violin soloist Emmanuel Borowsky, will be playing pieces by Mendelssohn and Bruch. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for students.
- Weinberg Center for the Arts in April: 2016 Comedy and Magic Spectacular, The Crooked Road, In the Mood: A 1940’s Musical Review, Voca People, Cinderella, Chonda Pierce: Focus on the Funny, and more. The Frederick Speaker Series and Frederick Reads.
- Way Off Broadway will be producing Noises Off! on the main stage, and Junie B. Jones the Musical ends April 9th. in the Children’s Theatre. Coming in May: The Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre is showing Cinderella, and Oedipus Rox!, RetroProm 2016, register for FunCamp.
- Frederick Community College, Jazz in April, A Tribute to Duke Ellington, Traveling Around the World – FCC Flute Choir, Frederick Choral Society.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, April 30, FCC @ J.B. Kussmaul Theater, Symphonic Scotland…also, June 11, An American Salute.
- Hood College, Spring Jazz Ensemble, April 2o, Spring Early Music Ensemble Concert, April 21, Dance Ensemble Spring Concert, Apr. 22, Spring Hood Choir Concert, Apr. 24, and more.
- Frederick Chorale and the Frederick Children’s Chorus, May 7, Celebrate Broadway – 100 Years of Broadway Musicals.
- Delaplaine Gala, Delaplaine Gala coming up on May 21, Frederick’s biggest art party! Art Classes, Enrollment is open for summer camps.
- Griffin Art Center, 437 N Market St, Frederick, check out their classes, special events and gallery shows. They have classes for both children and adults.
For the History Buff
- Bell and History Day, Saturday, April 9, 10 am to 4 pm. Free events throughout the county to celebrate Frederick County History. 21 Museums and locations are open, bell-themed hands-on activities and many exhibits. Contact Frederick Visitor Center for info and passports. 151 S. East Street. This event from the Frederick County Historic Consortium.
- Bell and History Day Handbell Festival, the day concludes at The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg, Md. 7 pm. Read more on Visit Frederick website.
- National Park Week, April 16, Monocacy Battlefield, also Park Day Volunteer Project, Clean-up at Monocacy Battlefield, April 2, 9 am to 1 pm. More events on the website.
- From April through October, Civil War Walking Tours, Murder and Mayhem Tours, and Student Walking Tours in downtown Frederick, Frederick County Museum of History.
For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Adventure Park USA, Spring Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show, April 17. See website for details.
- Friday Funfest at Westview Promenade, First Fridays.
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums Spring Festival, April 23, 24.
- The Frederick County Library has many events for children… like Board Game Monday… American Girl events…Check out the FCPL website. There are lots of fun things to do in Frederick for children.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad, Schedule.
- Children’s Festival in Baker Park, April 30. 10 am-3 pm. Free.
- Green Meadows Petting Farm, Ijamsville. Open Weekends.
- Crumland Farm Spring Fling, Saturdays in April.
- Mud Dog Run, Ceresville Mansion, May 7th, benefits Veterans suffering from PTSD.
- The Annual Cupcake Run – Sunday, April 17, registration at 6:45 a.m. Starting from Monocacy Park, 409 Delaware Avenue. This year’s race will again donate a portion of the net proceeds to Blessings In a Backpack Frederick Schools and to Children of Incarcerated Parents Partnerships.
- Fast and Furriest, 5K & 10K, April 10, benefits Operation Paws for Homes, Monocacy Village Park, Frederick. Fit and fun activities including basketball, stretching/yoga, ultimate Frisbee, Bang! Power Dance and kickball and possibly more!
- Glow for Home Golf Tournament, April 29, Holly Hills Golf Club, fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. 9-hole, par 3 glow in the dark golf tournament.
- See more non-profit events, or post your event at Frederick Community Calendar Website
- Community Shred Day, free from Frederick County Bank, April 2, Restore. Bring a donation to the food bank.
The Great Outdoors
- The Chamber of Commerce Annual Golf Scramble, Luck O’ the Links, April 22, 7:30 Breakfast, 9 am Shotgun Start, at West Winds Golf Club.
- Carillon Recital in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 – 1 pm. Year round.
- City of Frederick Parks & Recreation Open House, April 12, William Talley Rec Center at Baker Park
- Tea at the Tea Room, Gambrill State Park :April 8, 2016, 4 PM
- Frederick Keys Baseball, opening game: April 9. 7 pm.
- Catoctin Creek Nature Center Blog. Keep up with events.
- National Park Week – April 16 – April 24. Free entrance to National Parks.
- Every Saturday and Sunday – Taste Frederick Food Tours. A three-hour tour that combines food from downtown Restaurants and a bit of Frederick history, culture and architecture. See Taste Frederick Food Tours website for details.
- Fermenting Fun: Brewery Tours & Tastings in Frederick
- Bluegrass, Brew and BBQ Festival, April 16, Red Shedman Farm Brewery, 13601 Glissans Mill Rd.
- Wine Tastings and Festivals: Elk Run, Linganore Wineries,
Enjoy Spring in Frederick! There are a lot of fun things to do in Frederick this April.
Please feel free to leave your event in the comments and I’ll add it to the post!