Things to Do in Frederick Md – April 2015
Welcome Spring! There are many fun events this month to celebrate the coming of warmer weather *fingers crossed* and living in Frederick County.
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for April’s First Saturday: Girls Night Out! The theme is fun for the ladies throughout Downtown Frederick on Saturday, April 4th, from 3 pm to 9 pm. Events are aimed for great night out:
- Live Music several places downtown.
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Special sales throughout downtown, and more
Find a lot more details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website. Remember: Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays… parking is only $1 in the parking garages downtown.
Bring A Broom Saturday, spring cleaning in downtown Frederick, April 25, 8:30 am to 11 am.
The Arts in Frederick
- Michio Kaku, widely recognized physicist and futurist, for Frederick Reads, Wed. April 15th, Weinberg Center, 7:30 pm at the Weinberg Center for the Arts, 20 W. Patrick Street, Downtown Frederick
- Weinberg Center for the Arts in April: The Reduced Shakespeare Company, The New Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, Jeanne Robertson, 2 Cellos, Take 6, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra – A Night At the Opera, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and more.
- Way Off Broadway will be producing Fiddler on the Roof on the main stage, and Wizard of Oz starts April 11th. in the Children’s Theatre.
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre is showing The Little Mermaid, and The Elephant Man.
- Frederick Community College, A Night At the Museum, April 9, Frank Sinatra’s Songbook, Apr. 23, Basie, Blues and Bop, Apr. 28.
- Hood College, College Choir Concert, April 12, String Concert, April 7, Gospel Ensemble Concert, Apr. 19, early music Ensemble Concert, Apr. 23, Jazz Concert Aprl 29, Chamber Singers, Apr.30.
- Spring Concert Series, Mount Saint Mary’s University Chorale, April 25, 7 pm.
- Frederick Chorale and the Frederick Children’s Chorus, April 25, 8 pm and 26, 3 pm, St. Joseph-on-Carrollton-Manor Catholic Church
5843 Manor Woods Rd., Frederick, MD 21703
- Delaplaine Gala, Annual Juried Art Exhibit, April 4. , Delaplaine Gala coming up on May 30, Frederick’s biggest art party! Enrollment is open for summer camps.
- Griffin Art Center, 437 N Market St, Frederick, check out their classes, special events and gallery shows. They have classes for both children and adults.
For the History Buff
- Bell and History Day, Saturday, April 11, 10 am to 4 pm. Free events throughout the county to celebrate Frederick County History. All Museums and locations (24) are open, bell-themed hands-on activities and many exhibits. Contact Frederick Visitor Center for info and passports. 151 S. East Street.
- Bell and History Day Handbell Festival, the day concludes at The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg, Md. 7 pm. Read more on Visit Frederick website.
- Bells Across the Land – National Park Service remembering Appomattox. Apr. 9.
- The Final Shots of the War, April 18, Monocacy Battlefield
- From April through October, Civil War Walking Tours, Murder and Mayhem Tours, and Student Walking Tours in downtown Frederick, Frederick County Museum of History.
Easter For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Easter Egg Hunt and Breakfast, April 4, 8 am to 10 am @ Adventure Park USA, Spring Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show, April 19. See website for details.
- Friday Funfest at Westview Promenade, First Fridays.
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums Easter Egg Roll, Saturday, April 4, 11 am to 4 pm, ages 2 and up.
- The Frederick County Library has many events for children… like Board Game Monday… American Girl events…Check out the FCPL website. There are lots of fun things to do in Frederick for children.
- Bunny Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, March 28 & 29 and April 4 – 11 AM, 1 & 3 PM
- Children’s Festival in Baker Park, April 25. 10 am-3 pm. Free.
- Green Meadows Petting Farm, Easter Egg Hunt, Apr. 1 through 5th, Ijamsville.
- Crumland Farm Spring Fling, Saturdays, April 4th, April 11th and Sunday, April 12th.
- Mud Dog Run, Ceresville Mansion, April 18th, 12:30 – 3 pm. benefits Lifetime Wells for Ghana. Register.
- The Annual Cakes for a Cause Cupcake Run – Sunday, April 19, registration at 6:45 a.m. Starting from Monocacy Park, 409 Delaware Avenue.
- Gaming & Giving, April 11, 2 – 8 pm. Play board games for charity. Looking for Games, 5 Willowdale Dr, Frederick.
- Run for the Roses, April 12, Linganore Winecellars, Mt. Airy
- See more non-profit events, or post your event at Frederick Community Calendar Website
- Community Shred Day, free from Frederick County Bank, April 18, 490 Monocacy Blvd. 9 am to 12 pm. Bring a donation to the food bank.
- Motorcycle Ride for Special Olympics, April 25. The Buckeystown Pub. Kickstands up @ 11:30 am.
- Alzheimer’s Association “Dancing Stars” Gala, Sat. May 2nd, Walkersville Social Hall. Purchase event and raffle tickets by phone at 800-272-3900 or online at www.alz.org/maryland
The Great Outdoors
- 2nd Annual Running of the Alpacas, April 11, Sugarloaf Alpaca Company Farm
- Carillon Recital in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 – 1 pm. Year round.
- City of Frederick Parks & Recreation Open House, April 12, William Talley Rec Center at Baker Park
- Tea at the Tea Room, Gambrill State Park :April 18, 2015, 2 – 4 PM
- Frederick Keys Baseball, opening game: April 9. 7 pm.
- Mountainside Annual Spring Fest. April 26, 10 am – 3 pm. rain date April 27. An Earth Day Celebration for the whole family.
- Nature Fest, April 25, Catoctin Creek Nature Center, 2929 Sumantown Rd, Middletown.10 am to 4 pm. http://www.recreator.com
- National Park Week – April 18 – April 26.
Frederick Md Small Business
- The City of Frederick’s Department of Economic Development will offer office hours at Cowork Frederick on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month from 12-2 p.m. Staff will be on hand to discuss starting a business in the City
- Frederick Entrepreneur Support Network is a repository of many resources for small businesses in Frederick.
Enjoy Spring in Frederick! There are a lot of fun things to do in Frederick this April.
Please feel free to leave your event in the comments and I’ll add it to the post!