As summer is winding down, the weather has been incredible! (A Facebook friend commented the other day, “Since I can’t complain about the weather, does anyone have any other ideas for things to complain about?!”) Really, I can’t think of a thing! I hope everyone can get out and enjoy some of these great events coming in August in Frederick Md:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Rock Around the Blog, August 3rd, 2013, 3 pm to 9 pm.
- 50’s Costume Contest! Two $50 gift card prizes. (Check in at Ec’clectibles)
- Live Music several places downtown
- Comic Book Characters @ Brainstorm Comics
- Art Gallery Exhibits
- Give-Away’s, Tastings, and specials in many shops
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the August: August 1, 8, at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and tak 15, 22, 29, from 5-8pm.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the old Carmack Jays parking lot, Check it out on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 pm.
- Everedy Square and Shab Row Farmers Market – Thrrusdays, 3 pm to 6 pm.
Frederick History Buffs
- “From Fibers to Fashion” Exhibit @ Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St.
- Civil War Walking Tours, 1st & 3rd Saturdays, April – October, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-662-1188.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society “Dolls” Display, August 4.
- Civil War Encampment: 3rd Maryland Infantry, at Gathland State Park, August 10 -11.
- African American History Tours, Roger Brook Taney House, August 3.
- Monocacy National Battlefield, United States Colored Troops, Aug. 3 – 4.
- WWII Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 17-18.
- Thunder on the Mountains, Living History @ Fox’s Gap, Boonsboro, Md. Aug. 17-18.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: The Comedy Pigs 20th Anniversary Show, “Balls Deep in Love”, “Peter Pan”
- “Legally Blond” playing at Way Off Broadway and “Pinkalicious” is coming next month.
- At the Weinberg, “Irish Mystique” and “The Tim Conway Show with Louise DuArt”
- “Cats” at Dance Unlimited, Aug. 2 – 4, Performing Arts Factory
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, July 4th.
- Western Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Wahsington D.C. Regional Juried Exhibition, Hodson Galler and Whitaker Gallery @ Hood College, July 31 through August 4, 9 am to 7 pm.
- Several Gallery Shows Throughout the month in downtown Frederick.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:00 AM, Baker Park
- Sunday Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – 1.
- Fourth Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, August 16-18. On Saturday, the 17th The 2nd Frederick Clustered Spires High Wheel Race will be a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles. Free for Spectators
- Brunswick Night Out, August 6, Meet Brunswick’s Police and Emergency Personnel.
- Potomac Street Mile Race, Brunswick, Aug 31.
For Frederick Kids
- Cirque Italia, Water Circus @ Great Frederick Fairgrounds, August 9 – 11.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest – Westview Promenade, Aug. 2, 10 am to 11:30 am.
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 4th, make dog-inspired crafts and learn about the country of origin of popular breeds.
- Princess Breakfast, Adventure Park USA, August 10-11 8 am to 11 am.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Picnic, August 7, 21.
- Picnic in the Park, Baker park, Aug. 10, live music, pony rides…hosted by Frederick Church of the Brethren.
- Family Movie Night in Middletown Park, August 23.
- Crab Raffle, Saturday, Aug. 24, Frederick Fairgrounds, all day. Win a Gift Card from Cameron’s Seafood, benefits Angel Cregger (awaiting heart transplant) through the Patty Pallatos Fund.
- Maryland Patriot Guard Benefit Ride, Aug. 17, Mt. Airy, Md
For Frederick Foodies:
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car.
- South Mountain Creamery Tours, Monday through Friday through Oct.
- Fireside Fridays @ Black Ankle Vineyards, Live music and wine
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday
- Sunday Live Music @ Linganore Winecellars
Enjoy Summer in Frederick!