May is a lovely month to celebrate All Things Frederick … and our lovely mothers!
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for May’s First Saturday: Mayfest. Saturday, May 5, from 10 am to 9 pm. Mayfest is Downtown Frederick’s only day-long celebration…because you need a whole day to enjoy the beauty of a Frederick day in May!
- Balloons and Flowers and Art
- Floral Art by local garden clubs
- Live Music several places downtown
- Evangelical Lutheran Church Tour, 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Several Gallery Openings and Artist Receptions
- Interactive Art Festival at Everedy Square and Shab Row
- Walking Tours
- Free Trolley Rides
Store specials, wine tastings, and plant sales, much more… Find Details an Downtown events at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website, as well as many other downtown events in May.
Other Downtown Frederick Events
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, May 12, Carroll Creek Park. Beer Tastings from 40 Breweries! Tickets are ONLY available in advance HERE.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour opens again for the summer months, every Thursday at the Carroll Creek Amphitheatre, May through August, starting May 10, Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY and take place from 5-8pm.
- Beyond the Garden Gates Garden Tour, May 19 & 20. 301-600-2844 Celebrate Frederick
- Events at the Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick Running Festival; Beer Music Bacon, Kids Closet Connection; Scholastic Book Fair; The Farmer’s Market, more.
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tour – Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, May through October, also Art & Architecture of Frederick
Recurring monthly on the 2nd Saturday until October 14, 2017
- Civil War Walking Tour and other events at the Civil War Medicine Museum.
- National Herb Day at Schifferstadt, May ?.
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, Open First Sunday of the month, May to August, 305 W. Main St, Middletown also: Open House, May 6
- Battlefield Hikes, Monocacy Battlefield, Meet the Authors, May 12.
- Frederick Coin and Currency Show, May 19-20, Elks Lodge, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Steam Train Excursions @ Walkersville Southern Railroad, throughout May, W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville.
- Bonnets & Bow Ties Event Sat, May 19, 4:30pm – 7:30pm
Frederick County Historical Society A Preakness Celebration. Historical Society of Frederick County.
Theater in Frederick
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: A View from the Bridge, Register for 2017 FunCamp
- The Weinberg Center for The Arts: Backstage Tours of the Weinberg, Dead Horses, Neil Berg’s 50 Years of Rock and Roll, MMPAC Artistry on the Edge, Rodney Atkins, Colin Mochrie & Brad Sherwood, Academy of St. Cecilia Youth Orchestra, YMCA Dance Recital, and more.
- A Funny Things Happened on the Way to the Forum, playing at Way Off Broadway, “Berenstain Bears on Stage” on the Children’s stage.
- The Performing Arts Factory, Meet Me In St. Louis
- Act Too! Theater Company – Register now for summer musical production, July 30 – August 12.
Music & Arts in Frederick
- The Skystage is Open. Skystage Events.
- Carillon Recitals in Baker Park, First and Third Sundays, 12:30 to 1 pm.
- Monthly Swing DancesThe First Saturdays of the month, enjoy lessons at 7 pm and a social dance at 8 pm, for $5.00. Evangelical Reformed Chapel at 10 W. Church Street. No partner, no problem!
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, 3rd Wednesday’s from May through September, 6 pm to 8 pm, free.
- Frederick Community College. Frederick Symphony Orchestra Spring Masterworks Concert. Also, Wind Ensemble Spring Concert, String Ensemble, and Jazz Concert.
- Frederick String Initiative Student Ensembles, ages 7-20 performances June 3 and 16 .
- Creative Outlet Drop-In Art Session, May 5, Delaplaine Arts Center
- Frederick County Public Library Programs
- Coming UP: Frederick Symphony Orchestra, May 5, June 16-16, FCC @ J.B. Kussmaul Theater.
- The Frederick Chorale presents 40th Anniversary Gala, June 1. Holly Hills Country Club, Ijamsville, MD
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Frederick Running Festival @ Frederick Fairgrounds, May 5-6
- 5th Brunswick Wine and Chocolate Walk, May 12th Downtown Brunswick
- Workshops at the Farm, Fox Haven Farm, 3630 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson.
- Spring in the Village, Catoctin Furnace, May 5-6, Crafts, flowers, heirloom, plants, herbs and spring & mothers day gifts for sale. 12607 Catoctin Furnace Road.
- Alpaca Shearing Days, Sugarloaf Alpacas, 1347 Buckeystown Pke, Adamstown
- Asian Heritage Month Festival, Baker Park, May 5, 11 am to 4 pm.
- Tails on Trails, May 13 Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. Register.
- Bark in the Park, May 12 at Utica District Park, 10 am to 2 pm. 301-600-2936
Main Street Art & Wine Stroll, May 11, 2017 Thurmont Main Street
- Mid-Maryland Celtic Festival, June 16, Mt. Airy Carnival Grounds, 301-846-0406. Supporting Hero Dogs: Service Dogs for America’s Heroes.
- Annual Frederick Greek Festival, May 15 – 18, Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 920 W. 7th Street
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival, Carroll Creek Park, May 12, 1:30–5 pm purchase tickets on the website.
- Turf Valley has the annual Preakness Balloon Festival.. It is May 18 – 20
For Frederick Kids
- Walkersville Southern Railroad Locomotives on Display, May 2nd, also Weekend Excursions, Dinner Train, Jesse James Day is May 19. Civil War Reenactors May 20.
- First Friday Family Fun Fest, May 4 through October, Westview Promenade, 410-561-1300.
- See Frederick County Parks and Recreation for many other Children’s activities
- Frederick Running Festival. May 5 & 6.
- Relay for Life of South Frederick community fundraiser for American Cancer Society, May 11. Banner School
- Second Runway: Goodwill Fashion Show & Awards. May 10, 5 pm, McClintock Distillery. $50 per ticket.
- Maryland Endurance Challenge, May 20, Benefits SHIP.
- Check 106.9 The Eagle Community Calendar for local events.
- Beer, Bacon & Music Festival, Frederick Fair Grounds, May 19, 12 noon to 5 pm. Buy Tickets. Benefits Habitat for Humanity.
Dining Out in Frederick:
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Hollow Creek Golf Club -301-371-0400
- Brewer’s Alley – 301-631-0089
- Roasthouse Pub – 301-418-6096
- Barley & Hops – 301-668-5556
- Walkersville Railroad will serve brunch in a 1920′s dining car. Reservations required: 301-898-0899
- Alexander’s in Buckeystown – 301-874-1831
- The Comus Inn – 301-349-5100
- Monocacy Crossing – 301-846-4204
- Volt – 301-696-8658
- Family Meal – 301-378-2895
- The Wine Kitchen – 301-663-6968
- Isabella’s Taverna – 301-698-8922
- Firestone’s – 301-663-0330
- Dutch’s Daughter – 301-668-9500
Memorial Day Celebrations
- Adventure Park USA Memorial Day Weekend Special
- Last Full Measure of Devotion, Monocacy Battlefield.
- Middletown Memorial Celebration, Parade & Ice Cream Social – Middletown Park, 7628 Coblentz Rd, 11 am – 2 pm.
For Frederick Foodies
The Field Fresh Farmers Market, formerly known as West Frederick Farmers Market, has opened their 28th season this Saturday at the Frederick Fairgrounds. They are the largest producer-only market, featuring live music and a variety of prepared foods to enjoy while browsing the market. The market will be held on Saturdays from 9 AM – 1 PM through December at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E. Patrick Street. To learn more about the market visit our website https://www.fieldfreshfarmersmarket.com or on Facebook @fieldfreshfarmersmarket
Farmer’s Markets Open in May!
I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
South Mountain Creamery gives tours from April through October. Learn about local Agriculture
- Black Ankle Vineyards – Fireside Fridays, live music and wine
- Linganore Winecellars, Caribbean Wine Festival, live entertainment, more
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday, Wine in the Woods, Mother’s Day event.
May 12, Carroll Creek Park, 12:00 – 1:30 PM – VIP, 1:30 – 5 PM, General Admission. With over 180 unique local craft beers, there will be live music, food and craft vendors.