Summer has arrived, and a pleasant summer it’s been… here are some fun events coming in August in Frederick Md:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for August’s First Saturday: Art Attack, August 5, 2016, this month the event lasts all day, from 10 am to 9 pm.
- Live Music several places downtown
- First Saturday Trolley, runs every 15 minutes from 3 pm – 9 pm
- Art Gallery Exhibits
- Give-Away’s, Tastings, and specials in many shops
Find Details at the Downtown Frederick Partnership website.
- 2nd Annual Frederick Wine Festival, August 5th, 1 pm to 7 pm, Carroll Creek. Tickets.
- Alive @ Five Happy Hour Thursdays through Sept. 21st at the Carroll Creek Amphitheater. 5 to 8 pm. Admission is $5, all events are 21+ ONLY.
- Frederick City Market -Located in the old Carmack Jays parking lot, between 3rd and 4th Sts. Check it out on Sundays from 9 AM to 1 pm.
- Everedy Square and Shab Row Farmers Market – Thursdays, 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Carroll Creek Farmers Market, Tuesdays, through Aug. 23rd, 4:30 – 7:30 pm.
- Free Yoga at Sky Stage, Thursdays 6 to 7 pm.
- Family Movie Night on the Creek, August 18 , 9 pm – 11 pm. Feature: “Shrek”
- Boot Camp on the Creek, August 18, at noon.
Frederick History Buffs
- Civil War Walking Tours, Museum of Frederick County History, 301-662-1188. also:
- Civil War Events in Maryland
- Infantry Weekend, Monocacy National Battlefield, August 5th – 6th. Also:
- Founders Day at Monocacy National Battlefield, August 25th with the 101st Anniversary of the National Park Service.
- African American History Tours, Roger Brook Taney House, August 19. There are several walking tours with the Frederick Historical Society.
- Threshing Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 5-6.
- WWII Days @ Rose Hill Manor Museum, August 19-20. Living History and antique car show.
Theater in Frederick
- New: Spire Arts Summer Workshops | Choreography, Directing, and more… classes for adults and classes for Youth
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre: Young Camelot, Ladies of the Corridor, The Comedy Pigs: Summer Comedy Extravaganza, Summer Camp 2017.
- Happy Days the Musical, playing at Way Off Broadway and Sister Act and Elephant & Piggie’s “We are in a Play” are coming in September.
- At the Weinberg, Season Tickets are available August 3.
- Fredericktowne Players – New Season in September
- Other Voices Theatre: The Secret Garden
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Drop in art activities for all ages, Aug. 5th. Also, Summer Art Camps for all ages.
- Several Gallery Shows Throughout the month in downtown Frederick.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, August 5, at 7:30 p.m. at Horning Theater at Mount St. Mary’s University in Emmitsburg; and August 6 at Brodbeck Music Hall at Hood College in Frederick.
Frederick Great Outdoors
- Color on the Creek Festival, Aug. 12th. Live Music, BBQ, beer and wine. Carroll Creek, 6 pm to 10:30 pm.
- Summer Concert Series in Baker Park, Sundays 7pm at the Bandshell
- Summerfest Family Theater, Thursdays, 10:00 AM, Baker Park
- Sunday Carillon Concert in Baker Park, 12:30 – Sundays.
- Wednesday Night Concert Series at Westview Promenade, 6 – 8 pm.
- Middletown National Night Out, Tuesday, August 1st, Middletown Carnival Grounds, 5:30 to 8:30 pm…also Family Movie Night, Middletown Park, Aug. 18 Finding Dory.
- It’s the 101st Birthday of the National Park Service! Five National Parks are located in and around Frederick County. Look for special events.
- Potomac Street Mile, August 26, Fun for all ages, Square Corner Park
- Annual Family Fun Day @ the Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Aug. 27. 339 S. Seton Ave. Emmitsburg, Md 21788.
For Frederick Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Drop in art activities at the Delaplaine, August 5th. Also, Summer Art Camps for all ages.
- The Earth Space & Science Lab has planetarium shows throughout the summer, see shows and purchase tickets at their website.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad – Teddy Bear Train, Jesse James Day, Superhero Day
- Summer Movie Express $1 movies, Westview Promenade’s Regal Cinemas, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, through Aug. 23, @ 10 am.
- Family Movie Night in Middletown Park, August 18, Finding Dory.
- The Golden Mile Alliance is offering the “Movie on the Mile” coming up on Friday, August 24th at Fredericktown Mall. It’s an old fashioned drive-in movie time for the family. “The Lorax” is playing and we’ll have food for sale along with kids activities (starting at 7 p.m.). You can watch from your car or bring a lawn chair and sit outside.
- Ice Cream Social @ Potter’s Guild of Frederick, August 5, 2 pm – 8 pm. 14 S. Market St. $20 adults, $10 children, take home a beautiful bowl. Benefits Frederick Rescue Mission.
- Women’s Distance Festival & Fun Run, Aug. 5th, Plus: Little Women 1K Fun Run for younger runners. Proceeds to Women’s Giving Circle. Takes place at Frederick Community College.
- Sweet Remains Benefit Concert, All Saints’ Episcopal Church, August 5, 8 pm – 10 pm. Get Tickets. Benefits Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership of Frederick County, Inc (SHIP)
- Dynamic Auto 9th Annual Car Show. Benefits Second Chances Garage. Come enjoy the day at Dynamic Automotive in Urbana’s 9th Annual Car Show! Food, games, cars and FUN! See Details on the Facebook Event Page. The goal this year is to raise $15,000 for a grant. Make a difference by donating at the car show or sending a donation directly:https://www.classy.org/
campaign/ second-chances-garage-unity -page/c134632.
- 7th Annual Tour De Frederick, Bicycle Tour, History Ride on Friday, August 12-13 .Proceeds to Boys and Girls Club of Frederick, and The Rotary Club. On Saturday, several rides. Online Registration until August 9th.
- The National Clustered Spires High Wheel Race is a unique racing event set to take the streets of historic downtown Frederick, featuring riders of antique or replica high wheel bicycles. Free for Spectators, Aug. 12, 4 pm to 5:30 pm in front of Brewers Alley Restaurant.
- Tour De Frederick Covered Bridges Ride, Sunday, Aug. 13, 9 am – 1 pm.
- Gran Fondo National Championship, Bicycle Race, Sept. 17, 2017, 8 am. Proceeds go to the SHIP, Student Homelessness Initiative Partnership.
- “The Heat is On”, Main Street 5K and Funrun, Middletown, Aug. 26, 8 am.
- The 8th Annual Tommy West Memorial Ride, Aug. 19, 9:30 am. Thurmont American Legion Pavilion, supports several Thurmont groups.
For Frederick Foodies:
- Carroll Creek Trellis Takeout, Saturdays and Sundays. Snacks from North Market Pop Shop, Frederick Fudge & Ice Cream, and The Wine Kitchen.
- Farmer’s Markets Open –I found this Google Map of local Farmer’s Markets, thanks to whoever created this, it’s helpful.
- Farmer’s Market every Saturday at the Frederick Fairgrounds, 8 am.
- Walkersville Southern Railroad serves a 5-course dinner in their elegant dining car. and: Murder Mystery Dinner Trains
- South Mountain Creamery Tours, Monday through Friday through Oct.
- Frederick Wine Festival, Inaugural Event. August 5, 1 pm to 5 pm. Information and tickets: Celebrate Frederick
- Fireside Fridays @ Black Ankle Vineyards, Live music and wine
- Elk Run Summer Wine Down Friday
- Sunday Live Music @ Linganore Winecellars Wine and Food Pairings.
- Live Music and tastings at Big Cork Vinyards, in Rohrorsville.
Enjoy The Summer in Frederick! If you know of any events I’ve missed, please feel free to add in the comments!