Things to Do in Frederick Md This December 2015
Downtown Frederick, with its beautiful lights and window displays, takes on a special charm during the Holidays! And there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy:
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday” is themed “Three Saturdays in December”, featuring the theme “Eat, Shop & Be Merry!” There will be evenings of carriage rides, food & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live entertainment, andsales. Kids will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores. 3 pm to 9 pm.
- December 5th: EAT
- December 12th: SHOP
- December 19th: BE MERRY
- (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Special Events
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 5th and 6th, A self-guided walking tour through Various Downtown Frederick homes.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec 28, 4 to 8 pm. Downtown Frederick.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Saturdays and Sundays, 4 – 8 pm. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Festival of Trees, Dec. 1-6, 8-12, Museum of Frederick County History, 24 East Church Street
- Festival of Lights, Dec. 18, City Hall Courtyard, 7 to 9 pm.
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Artist Market, Dec. 5. Holiday Art Competition, Dec. 3, Elf Workshops for kids, Dec. 5, 13. The Frederick String Initiative Performance, Dec. 20, 28.
- Concerts at FCC, All That Jazz Dec. 3, Choral Arts Society of Frederick Concert, Dec.4. The Spires at Christmas, Dec. 5., Annual Holiday Ceramics Sale and Fundraiser, Dec. 2.
- The Magic of Christmas, Way Off Broadway, Nov. 28 – Dec 20. Also: The Great Elf Adventures, through Dec. 20th.
- A Christmas Carol, Dec. 5, 12, 13, 19, 27, The Performing Arts Factory.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: The Gifts of the Magi, Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells Batman Smells, A Christmas Carol, and the Comedy Pigs. Winter Class Registration.
- The Weinberg: Kathy Mattea: Songs and the Season, The Nutcracker – Dec. 11-13, A Christmas Carol, Dec. 17 – 20, and more. The annual Messiah sing-along, Dec. 22. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
- Countryside Artisans of Maryland, Dec. 4 – 6, 11 – 13. Tour studios in Frederick County & Montgomery County.
- Up All Night: Annual Children’s Performance, Dance Show. For families, by Equinox Dance Company with guest children dancers. Sunday December 13 at 1pm and 3pm at The Delaplaine Visual Arts Center.
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, Dec. 5-6 , Frederick Presbyterian Church. Frederick Chorale. Dec. 7th at the Episcopal Church of Transfiguration.
- Winter Concert Series at Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Dec. 5, 12.
For Frederick Kids
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & Friends, Dec. 12. Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Ronald McDonald will visit the C. Burr Artz Public Library, Tues. Dec. 3, 6:30-7:30 pm. 110 E. Patrick St. See all of the Library Events.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 11, 6:30 -9 pm.
- Cinderella Carriage Rides, Friday’s and Saturdays. Brewer’s Alley, 124 N. Market St., $25. Call City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 5. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- FCSME Model Train Open House, Dec. 7, 423 E. Patrick St.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Ausherman Planetarium, 210 Madison St., Dec. 5, 12, 19.
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Harvester Holiday, Dec. 5, 11 am to 2 pm. 901 E. Patrick Street. Visit with Santa, ride a tractor-drawn wagon through downtown Frederick. Train display, crafts and shopping. Support local Charities.
Toys for Tots Collection, Westview Promenade, Golden Gears Car Club.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Giving Tuesday is December 1, Check out GivingTuesday.org.
- Jingle Bell Run/Santa Stroll, Dec. 5, Historic Downtown Brunswick. Costume judging, hot cocoa, tree-lighting, an entire day of fun. Bring Canned goods for the Brunswick Food Bank.
For History Buffs:
- Festival of the Trees, Frederick County Historical Society, 24 East Church Street in the Historic District of Frederick.
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec. 12 Various locations in Frederick County. Also: Rose Hill Manor, and 18 other museums.
- Candlelight Cemetary Tours, Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 6th. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield. Dec. 5th.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick. 301-600-4045
For Frederick Foodies
Linganore Winecellers: Holiday Desserts: Wine and Food Pairing of the Month, Every day of the month of December: Closed Christmas Day. Reservation Recemmended, $10 per person. And for the first time:
Winterfest at Linganore Winecellers, January 23, 2016, 12 pm to 4 pm. $10 in advance, $15 day of. With a DJ, dancing, handmade crafts and beautiful artwork, wine and beer tasting. Limited number of tickets: http://www.missiontix.com/
2015 Holiday Beer Dinner – Dec. 2, 7 – 9 pm. Brewer’s Alley Restaurant, 124 N. Market Street.
Holiday “Home” Dinners by Bryan Voltaggio, Family Meal Restaurant, Thursday Dec. 17, 7 pm – 9 pm. 3 course “holiday inspired” dinner. Includes a signed copy of his book.
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Holiday Open House, Urbana Library, Dec. 6-7th.
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 5th
- Annual Gifts and Greens Sale, Dec. 3-4, All Saints Episcopal Church, 106 West Church St. Frederick. Also, ChristKindlmarkt, Dec. 5, 11:00 am – 7:00 pm. – Annual German Market. Dec. 5, 7, Evangelical Lutheran Church, 31 E. Church Street. Traditional German Music, Food and market.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 5, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- Fort Ritchie Holiday Craft Bazaar, Dec. 12
- Brunswick Hometown Holidays, Dec. 12. Also: Brunswick Community Church Tour, Dec. 12.
- Museums by Candlelight Tour, Dec. 12th. Main St. Middletown
- Live Nativity, Urbana Fire Department, Dec. 6. at 6, 7, and 8 pm.
- Christmas in the Barn, Dec. 6, Holiday Bazaar, Linganore Winecellars.
- Ho Ho Ho Show, Holiday & Craft Bazaar, Dec. 6, 12 pm – 4 pm. Frederick News Post Building, 351 Ballenger Center Drive, Frederick
- Dickens Carolers, Dec. 1 – 31, Westview Promenade.
- Cookies and Carriage Holiday Light Tour, Skater’s House, Corner of 2nd St. and W. College Terr. Dec. 17.
New Year’s Eve
- Scottish First Footing, New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Third Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- Family New Year’s Eve Celebration, Dec. 31, Adventure Park U.S.A.
- January First Saturday, Downtown Frederick, Jan. 2nd, Wine Down
- January 1 – Freezin for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!
[please feel free to leave a comment with anything I’ve missed:]