First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for February’s First Saturday (Feb. 3rd) is “Fire In Ice”, my favorite First Saturday, with over 100 ice sculptures sponsored by downtown and Frederick merchants. This event draws as many as 30,000 to Downtown Frederick. from 3 to 9 pm.
Some of the fun events:
- Ice Throne and Playground on the Creek (by La Paz)
- Live ice carving demonstration
- Hot air balloon demonstration
- Fire Dancing Performances
- S’mores and Hot Cocoa
- Ice Bar in the amphitheater on Carroll Creek featuring beer by Flying Dog and Brewer’s Alley and wine.
- Live Music on several corners
- Gallery exhibit openings throughout downtown
- and more…More info at Downtown Frederick Partnership
February Events in Frederick
Monthly Swing Dances
The First Saturdays of the month, enjoy lessons at 7 pm and a social dance at 8 pm, for $5.00. Evangelical Reformed Chapel at 10 W. Church Street. No partner, no problem!
The Arts in Frederick:
- Weinberg Performances for February, Alicia Olatuja, Boys and Girls Club First Annual Comedy Night, Frederick Music Showcase, Sal “The Voice” Valentinetti, Teelin Irish Dance Company: Celtic Storm, Cyrille Aimee, American Conservation Film Festival – Best of the Fest 2017, Musical Thrones: A Parody of Ice and Fire, For the Kids: Pirate School: The Science of Pirates, and more. Frederick Speaker Series – Ted Koppel
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre Q, the Witch and the Magical Orb, Pillowman, Starting February The Ensemble School Winter/Spring Session, acting and improv classes.
- Fredericktowne Players; The Company, at Frederick Community College, until Feb. 4.
- Shrek the Musical @ Way Off Broadway
- Faculty Chamber Recital – Love Songs, Dreams and Meditations, FCC Percussion Day, Frederick Community College, An American Quilt, Percussion Day, Tuesday Lunchtime Recital Series, and more.
- Drop-In Art Activity, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center, Feb 3.
- The African American Experience at Monocacy Battlefield. National Museum of Civil War Medicine, 48 E. Patrick Street, plus other exhibits.
- Frederick Coin and Currency Show, Feb. 24th & 25th, Elk Lodge, 289 Willowdale Dr.
- Antique Tractor Club Annual Toy Auction and Show, Brunswick Fire Hall, Feb. 10-11.
- Frederick County Society of Model Engineers Open House, Feb. 5, 423 E. Patrick St.
For the Kids
- Frederick County Daddy Daughter Dance, Feb. 2nd and 3rd, Frederick County Fairgrounds, 301-600-2983
- Earth & Space Science Laboratory, Feb. 13 and 14th, Space Week in Planetarium Shows: Black Holes, Saturn Jewel of the Heavens, Wonders of the Universe, Extreme Planets. 210 Madison St. Frederick
- Breakfast with Princesses, Feb. 10th at Adventure Park USA. Family Fun Fridays, Hologate Virtual Reality.
- History Hour, the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St., has preschool History Hour programs, the first and third Tuesday of the month from 1 to 2 pm.
- Lonely Hearts Rescue ~ Valentine’s Dinner/Dance, Feb. 9, 7 – 11 pm. Dutch’s Daughter. Supports Lonely Hearts Animal Rescue.
- Frederick Freeze Polar Bear Plunge, Frederick Police Dept. partnering with the Frederick Freeze Hockey team to raise money for the Special Olympics in Maryland. Feb. 3, 12 noon at Carroll Creek Amphitheater in Downtown Frederick. Minimum Donation.
- Many non-profit events from around the area are listed on 106.9 the Eagle Community Events Page.
- Best of Frederick Bash, February 24, Frederick Fairgrounds
Dining Out in Frederick:
- SOLD OUT Sweetheart Special Dinner Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad
- Special Valentine’s Day Menus at several local restaurants. (Blog post coming soon!)
- Frederick Magazine’s Best-of Bash, February 25th.
- Taste of Brunswick Downtown Progressive Dinner. Feb. 24, 6 to 0 pm. Brunswick Main Street.
- Coming up: Frederick Restaurant Week, March 5th through 11th.
Frederick Brew Tours:
February is FeBrewary Month throughout Maryland. There are a lot of events throughout the state. Find them on the Brewers Association of Maryland Website.
- Hop aboard the Brew Bus and tour several downtown Microbreweries. Read our article about 13 local craft breweries in Frederick County.
- Check out Flying Dog University, with cooking classes, beer tasting classes and more.
Frederick Wine Trail:
- March will be the first ever Maryland Wine Month, with several activities around the state.
- Linganore Wine Cellars: Barrel Tasting, Days of Wine and Roses. Galentine’s Dance.
- Black Ankle Vineyards: Tastings and Member Events
- Elk Run Vineyard: Valentine Wine Tasting, Marti Gras Masked Event, Wine Down Fridays with live music
Celebrating Valentines Day ♥
- Valentine Activies, C. Burr Artz Public Library, 2:00 to 3:30 pm. See Lots of events at the Public Library.
Feel Free to add any events in the comments!