Things to Do in Frederick Md – April 2013
Spring has sprung! *fingers crossed* There are many fun events in Frederick to celebrate:
First Saturday in the Historic District
The theme for April’s First Saturday: Frederick Goes Hollywood. Don’t miss the walk of fame throughout Downtown Frederick on Saturday, April 6th:
- Famous Characters, local and national, celebrity impersonators too.
- Live Music several places downtown, like Chris Gassaway, an Elton John impersonator:)
at 30 N Market St.
- Free Trolley Rides
- Movie Screenings at 125 N. East Street (The Loft), and 38 Patrick Street @ dusk,
- Several Art Exhibit Openings
- Soolah Hoops magical fire dancing is a must see after dark,
- Special Hollywood inspired cocktails at various restaurants,
- and much more
- Candlelight Ghost Tours every Saturday, 8 pm.
- Bring a Broom Saturday is the second annual downtown clean-up event, Saturday April 27. See Downtown Frederick Partnership website for details.
The Arts in Frederick
- Cowork Frederick Artist of the month opening – Sara Knox. Special Music by Twin Radio.
- The Weinberg Center for the Arts has a lot going on in April: Commedian Ralphie May, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, the Seldom Scene, Billy McGuigan – Buddy Holly Interpreter, and more. And The Velveteen Rabbit.
- Way Off Broadway will be producing 9 to 5: The Musical on the main stage, and Cinderella in the Children’s Theatre.
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre is showing Finally Heard, My Monster and Me, Laugh Station: Revelation, and the Comedy Pigs, and more.
- The Belmonte Trio, Frederick Community College, April 5th, Free.
- “Avenue Q”, the Tony-Award Winning Musical, Hood College, April 4 – 6. Also, Hood College Students and Faculty will present several original plays.
- Delaplaine Gala, April 27, 6:30 to 11 pm. Frederick’s biggest art party!
For the History Buff
- Bell and History Day, Saturday, April 6, 10 am to 4 pm. Free events throughout the county to celebrate Frederick County History. All Museums (20) are open, bell-themed hands-on activities and many exhibits.
- Birth of the Banjo workshop at the Weinberg. Wednesday, April 10, 2013 • 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM. Lead by George Wunderlich, Executive Director of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.
For the Kids
- History Hour First and third Tuesday of each month from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. at the Historical Society of Frederick County, 24 E. Church St. Read-aloud and crafts for pre-schoolers.
- Spring Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show @ Adventure Park USA, April 21. See website for details.
- Rose Hill Manor Park & Museums Spring Festival, Celebrate Frederick’s agricultural heritage, Sat 10am-4pm, April 27.
- The Frederick County Library has many events for children… like Board Game Monday… American Girl events…Check out the FCPL website.
- Pajanimals Live, April 23, Weinberg Center.
- Children’s Festival in Baker Park, April 27. 10 am-3 pm.
- Op to Pop Part X, Frederick Community College, April 6th. A concert and silent auction to benefit the Anne-Lynn Gross Breast Cancer Resource Center at Frederick Community College. At FCC’s Jack B. Kussmaul Theater, Concert begins at 7:30 p.m. Silent Auction opens for bidding at 6:30 and again during intermission. $10 general admission.
- Souper Sunday, an Empty Bowls Banquet, April 7th, 12:30 – 3 pm. benefits homeless and low-income people through the Community Kitchen at the Frederick Rescue Mission. $25. Information at the Frederick Rescue Mission website.
- Girls Night Out Downtown Frederick, Thurs, April 25, 6 pm to 10 pm. Shop to benefit Heartly House. See the Downtown Frederick Partnership for more details.
- The Annual Cakes for a Cause Cupcake Run – Sunday, April 14, 2012, beginning at 8 a.m. Starting from Monocacy Park, 409 Delaware Avenue. To register, go to http://cakesforcause.org/
- Goodwill Donation Drive in Urbana, April 6-7th. 12 noon to 6 pm. At BB&T 3500 Sugarloaf Parkway, Frederick, MD 21704
- Forget-Me-Not Gala, April 20, Holiday Inn, A Gala to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association.
- See many more non-profit events at Frederick Community Calendar Website
Frederick Businesses & Entrepreneurs
The Delaplaine Visual Arts Center is hosting Everything Frederick, Tuesday April 16, 8:30 to 9:30 AM. At this free session, learn about the top touris destinations that will have customers scheduling a return visit. Speakers: Becky Bickerton & Michelle Kershner. Please RSVP to Kara Norman.
Earth Day Events
- April 11, FCC, Author Will Allen, Food Revolution: Growing Healthy Food, People and Communities. Allen will discuss his book, followed by a question-and-answer session and book signing at 11 a.m. in JBK Theater. He will visit the Weinberg Center for the Arts at 7 p.m. Both events are free and open to the public; no tickets required
- April 17, Michael Judd at 11 a.m. in the JBK Theater at Frederick Community College, using better ecological design to increase local food security and community health.
Seed of Life
Seed of Life Nursery and Community Supported Agriculture is a non-profit organization and Christian Outreach that gives away locally grown produce to families at risk, and provides gardening experiences for children. Michael Dickson is the founder and will be speaking at Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ on 15 W. Church Street, Sunday, April 7, 9:30 to 11:30 AM.
The Seed of Life will also be showcased at Celebrating Green Days, a 3 day event at the Business Factory of Frederick, April 26, 27 and 28th. More to come on this unique event.
Enjoy Spring in Frederick!