The Holidays are the most charming times in Frederick Maryland! The shopping is great and there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy:
First Saturday in the Historic District
Every Saturday in December is a “First Saturday”! The month is themed “Holiday Nights”, with each Saturday full of nights of shopping and dining. There will be sales! There will be evenings of carriage rides, food and beer & wine tastings, art exhibit openings, guest artists, caroling and other live entertainment, and sales! Kids of all ages will enjoy free hot cocoa and make-your-own S’mores. Participate in the downtown Frederick Holiday Scavenger Hunt! And there will be sales! 5 pm to 9 pm. December 2nd, 9th, and the 16th. (see the Downtown Frederick Partnership Website for details:)
Frederick Md Christmas Special Events
- Candlelight House Tour, Dec. 2nd and 3rd, A self-guided walking tour through Various Downtown Frederick homes.
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec 9th, 12 pm to 7 pm, Downtown Frederick.
- Holiday Carriage Rides in Downtown Frederick, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, afternoons and evenings. Call the City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492, or check the website for dates and rates.
- Festival of Trees, Nov. 24 – Dec. 7, Reception – Dec. 9th Museum of Frederick County History, 24 East Church Street
- Festival of Lights, Dec. 15, City Hall Courtyard, 7 to 9 pm.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick
The Arts in Frederick
- Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center: Arts & Crafts Expo Dec. 2. Holiday Art Competition, Dec. 2, Super Secret Elf Workshops for kids, Dec. 2, and more.
- Concerts at Frederick Community College, Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker, Dec. 9, Wind Ensemble, Dec. 8, Dec. 2. The Spires at Christmas, Dec. 2., Annual Holiday Ceramics Sale and Fundraiser, Dec. 1. String Ensemble Dec. 3.
- Christmas Cottage, Way Off Broadway, A Children Theater Christmas Carol, through Dec. 23. Breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dec. 23 – 24.
- Santa’s Christmas Day, The Performing Arts Factory.
- Maryland Ensemble Theater: A Christmas Story, Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells Batman Smells, A Christmas Carol, and the Comedy Pigs. Winter Class Registration.
- The Weinberg: It’s a Wonderful Life, Dec. 1st, Shadows of the 60’s Motown Tribute, The Nutcracker , A Christmas Carol, The annual Messiah sing-along, Dec. 19. Phil Vassar and Kellie Pickler, Diana Bogart Band.
- Countryside Artisans of Maryland, Dec. 1-3, 9-11. Tour studios in Frederick County & Montgomery County
- Christmas with the Frederick Chorale, Frederick Chorale. Dec. 3 – 4 at the St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. 118 E. 2nd St. Frederick.
For Frederick Kids
- Adventure Park USA, Breakfast with Santa & Friends, Dec. 9. Family New Year’s Celebration, Dec. 31st.
- Story Time with Mrs. Clause. See all of the Library Events.
- Super Secret Elf Workshop, Delaplaine Arts Center, Dec.
- Kris Kringle Parade, Fri. Dec. 8, 6:30 -7:30 pm.
- Cinderella Carriage Rides, Brewer’s Alley, 124 N. Market St. Call City of Frederick Rec Dept. 301-600-1492, or check the website for dates and rates.
- Holiday Magic at Rose Hill Manor, Dec. 2. 10 am to 3 pm. Craft project, activities, Santa, and Magic Shows. (301) 600-1650
- Santa Train, Walkersville Southern Railroad, Dec. Saturdays and Sundays.
- FCSME Model Train “Children’s Christmas” Open House, Dec. 11, 423 E. Patrick St. Open houses every Sunday in January.
- Mystery of the Christmas Star, Ausherman Planetarium, 210 Madison St., Dec. 5, 12, 19.
- Breakfast with Santa, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department, Dec. 10.
Are you looking for a way to volunteer? Volunteer Match is a website to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Christmas Cash for Kids, everyday on WFMD, 930 AM
- Toys for Tots, Westview Shopping Center, Dec. 9th.
- Harvester Holiday, Dec. 2, 11 am to 2 pm. Rose Hill Manor. Visit with Santa, ride a tractor-drawn wagon through downtown Frederick. Train display, crafts and shopping. Support local Charities.
- EARLY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!
Social Ministry’s Winter Market will be held Saturday, December 2, from 9 am to 7 pm, and Sunday, December 3, from 8 am to 1 pm.
at Evangelical Lutheran Church, 31 E Church St. Frederick. All proceeds from the donations will go to Operation Second Chance.
- See more non-profit events on the Frederick Community Calendar
- The Frederick Rescue Mission welcomes food donations for Christmas Dinner, as well as volunteers.
- Jingle Bell Run/Santa Stroll, Dec. 2, Historic Downtown Brunswick. Costume judging, hot cocoa, tree-lighting, an entire day of fun. Bring canned goods for the Brunswick Food Bank.
- Maryland Event Calendar for Walking, Running, Cycling, etc.
- Patty Pollatos Calendar of Events
- Key 103 Radio Community Events Page
For History Buffs:
- Festival of the Trees, Frederick County Historical Society, 24 East Church Street in the Historic District of Frederick.
- 76th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 9, Special Remembrance, Mt. Olivet Cemetary. SPECIAL EVENT!!!
HOLIDAY DECORATION DAY
Saturday, December 9th from 9am-9pm
Free Crafts, Refreshments, Lectures and film showings of “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
- Museums by Candlelight, Dec. 9 Various locations in Frederick County. Rose Hill Manor, and 18 other museums.
- Candlelight Cemetary Tours, Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec 32nd. Collier’s Log House, ca. 1810, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd. Thurmont, MD 21788
- Antietam Battlefield Illumination, 23,000 candles light the battlefield. Dec. 2nd.
- Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship, Dec. 26. Historic District, Frederick. 301-600-4045
For Frederick Foodies
Linganore Winecellers: Christmas in the Barn, Dec. 2 – 3. Closed Christmas Day. Reservation Recommended.
Holiday Festivals Around Frederick County
- Scents and Sweets Competition and Auction, Nov. 30, 5:30 – 7 pm. William Talley Rec Center.
- Hello Holidays: Events at the Public Library
- Holiday Open House, Thorpewood Lodge, Dec. 9, 3 – 8 pm.
- 11th Annual Gifts and Greens Sale, Nov. 30 – Dec. 2, All Saints Episcopal Church, 106 West Church St. Frederick.
- Traditional Village Christmas, Dec. 2, Village of Catoctin Furnace, 12607 Catoctin Furnace Rd, Thurmont.
- Christmas in New Market, Dec. 1 – 2. Main Street New Market.
- Fort Ritchie Holiday Craft Bazaar, Dec. 10, 9 am – 3 pm.
- Brunswick Hometown Holidays, Dec. 10.
- Museums by Candlelight Tour, Dec. 9th.. Main St. Middletown
- Live Nativity, Urbana Fire Department, Dec. 3. at 6, – midnight.
- FNP Holiday Gift Pop-Up Shop, Dec. 3, 10 am– 6 pm. Next to Pistarro’s on Shab Row, Frederick
- Westview Promenade. Visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dec. 9, and Toys for Tots.
- Cookies and Carriage Holiday Light Tour, Skater’s House, Corner of 2nd St. and W. College Terr. Dec. 21.
New Year’s Eve
- Hogmanny Scottish Celebration, Urbana Volunteer Fire Department
- Scottish First Footing, New Year’s Eve in Brunswick, Square Corner Park
- Fifth Annual New Years Eve Key Drop, Dec. 31, Suspension Bridge over Carroll Creek.
- Family New Year’s Eve Celebration, Dec. 31, Adventure Park U.S.A.
- January 1 – Freezin’ for a Reason, Take a plunge in the Potomac River, Brunswick, proceeds go to Beacon, Special Olympics.
“The 1st Annual PROPER Cocktail Holiday Ball” Benefits The American Cancer Society, McClintock Distilling, 35 South Carroll St. Frederick Md. Fri. Dec. 8, 7 pm to 11:30 pm.
Consult the websites above for more wonderful Frederick events. Times and dates are not guaranteed.
Enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Holiday season!